Weird problem accessing WIFI on MBPRO

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 7racer, Aug 22, 2010.

1. 7racer macrumors regular

I just noticed that when I try to get on the internet with my MB PRO, I will go from blazing fast speeds (DOCIS 3) to no internet connection.

The weird thing is that it just seems to be from programs that access the internet.

I can log onto the wireless with my old MB or my iPad and have normal internet function. Also I have a MacPro that is connected via Ethernet and that runs fast and normal.

Also, on the MBPRO, I can run screen sharing at full resolution while the slowdown/no access is happening with my internet browsers and it works fine.

It just seems to be programs that are accessing the internet.

I also get this problem regardless of what browser I use. That is, if I get a slow down on Safari, I can immediately open Chrome and there is a similar lack of activity.

I also have the same extensions loaded on my MacPro and MB Pro....so not sure if that is what is causing the problem.

Anyone with any ideas?

2. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

Just going to throw this out there, but I am having some of these issues all of a sudden as well.

And for some reason it seems to be after I grabbed that recent SL graphics update.... Super weird.

3. scottacus macrumors newbie

I used to have this same exact issue on my MacBook. I would be able to use the internet fine, then after a while I would be unable to connect even though the AirPort icon still showed a connection. For me this started with one of the Leopard updates and continued after my Snow Leopard install.

Unfortunately the only way I was able to solve it was by erasing and reinstalling the OS. I tried trashing a few preference files but in the end nothing solved it except for a fresh install (without using Migration Assistant to restore my settings).

4. 7racer thread starter macrumors regular

Hello all and thanks for the suggestions.

I have some more info and wonder if people having similar problems can check there systems to help isolate the problem.

As in my first post, the problem only seems to be when I use wifi to access the internet. When the slow down occurs, I occurs with ALL web broswers (Firefox, chrome and safari). However, my screen sharing works fine and fast.

Also access to wifi with my ipad is fine.

I have my Airport extreme set up as N and B/G, with a separate network name for 5ghz N only.

What I did was set everything to automatic and tried it again. Now everything seems to work...as long as my wifi connects as N 2.4ghz. Right when it connects as 5ghz I get the weird problems.

I am going to test this some more and switch my network to N 5ghz only and let my macpro connect by wifi instead of ethernet to see if my macpro does the same error. What I want to see if it might be that graphics update might be doing it as some people have noticed the slow down after the update. Both my macpro and MBpro have the recent update.

Finally, I have a MB that hasn't been updated so if both display the slow down and the MB is fine then it is pointing toward the recent update.

Otherwise if the macpro works fine, then it has to be the airport card in the MBpro.

If anyone else can experiment and chime that would be great.

5. 7racer thread starter macrumors regular

hmmm

and I just did this too and logged back in as 5ghz only....

seems to be working....