Weird Problem- External Monitor or MB Pro, any ideas?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by imorton, May 30, 2011.

1. imorton macrumors 6502

I have been getting a weird problem with my external monitor. I am connected to a Samsung Syncmaster 2493HM and in the last few days my external screen occasionally goes grey snowy (look at the attached photo) and loses it's image.

I turn off/on the monitor, and it goes away, only to happen again maybe 1 hour later :(

I can't seem to figure out if it is the 2011 MB Pro 13", core i5, the External Monitor, or the MonoPrice DVI adapter, any ideas if anyone has seen my screenshot before?

Thanks for all your help, IAN...

Attached Files:

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Ya, I've seen that before on my Windows based HTPC with the same connection. Basically the display is losing sync with the signal from your computer. It could be the laptop, cable or monitor. In my case it only happens once a month or so, I just don't worry about it.

You might want to try upgrading your video card drivers and\or swapping the cable first. After that the possible solutions get more expensive. You can try another monitor. Perhaps you can borrow one for a couple of days and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't then you most likely have an issue with your 13" that will need to be looked at by Apple.

3. imorton thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, thanks for the reply... So you're figuring it's "my external monitor is losing sync" with my MB Pro.. hmmmm

I have just connected the MB Pro to my small digital TV via a HDMI adapter... I will let it run for a while and see if it does it again.... If it does it again, it has to be the computer.

If it doesn't do it again, it has to be either the monitor, Monoprice adapter, DVI cable, or?

4. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

I think you've got the idea. Just see what happens... I always test and replace the cheap stuff first.. so, new cable then monitor then laptop. Does that make sense?