WEIRD problem involving Chrome, integrated graphics, and Flash player.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Baloney1011, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Baloney1011 macrumors member

Okay, so, ANY flash application, whenever I'm on integrated graphics, in Google Chrome on a brand new 15-inch MBP, there is LITERALLY a hole where the Flash should be. And, through the hole I can see the desktop. And, when I move the window, nothing freezes or anything, everything works fine, and the picture in the hole moves, too; it's not frozen. This happens on YouTube videos, games, everything!

2. Baloney1011 thread starter macrumors member

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

disable gfxcardstatus

or, kill chrome, set the GPU to integrated, restart chrome.

user created problem!

4. Baloney1011 thread starter macrumors member

Oh, thanks! So, I have to quit applications to change graphics cards properly... got it!

5. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

yes. Since gfxCardStatus circumvents the apple system, you need extra steps to use it. haha

6. some idiot macrumors member

I'm having the exact opposite problem. I'm seeing a hole in my screen when I'm on the dedicated graphics card but can see it fine when it's on the integrated card

7. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

if you want to use the dedicated card, you need to kill the application before switching GPU's

8. some idiot macrumors member

thanks. maybe gfxcardstatus isn't work the hassle? hmm

9. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

the maker of it is working on a update that fixes alot of bugs with the current version on Lion... but i think the killing application requirement will always be there. it's what happens when you break through apple's system for better battery life.

10. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

This is very interesting because my 15" MBP 8,2 does this as well with the exact same programs ect.

That being said I have also noticed a similar issue when using Mplayer and switching from integrated to dedicated the video screen goes black. If I closed Mplayer and then reopen it the issue is fixed, this is basically what others have said to do so I'm betting this is the fix for the Chrome/Flash issue.

11. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

Everyone, this is fixed in Chrome 16 which was released yesterday.

...And there was much rejoicing.

12. some idiot macrumors member

now when I quit Chrome and it switches back to integrated graphics it gets stuck at a blue screen

13. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

what gets stuck at a blue screen? the whole computer?

14. some idiot macrumors member

yep. I quit Chrome, it shows me the desktop for a second before it flicks to a blue screen, then it stays there. I shut the computer to make it sleep and then opened it up and it worked again, but I reproduced the problem by opening and closing Chrome.

15. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

does it always flash a blue screen when you switch graphics cards? and is yours set on dynamic switching or integrated only?

16. some idiot macrumors member

I can't usually tell it switches except for the Growl notification. I also haven't been able to reproduce it since last night, so maybe the computer was just in a weird state.

I keep it on integrated only when on battery and dynamic switching when plugged in (which it has been)

17. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

hmm. the only time mine goes blue like that is when i plug something into the TB port (usually a monitor...)