Weird problem. MBP 1,1 When on desk, works. When move or on lap, shuts down. ???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Scottsdale, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I have no idea what is going on here. I got an old MBP v 1,1 off Craig's List. It has a Core Duo CPU, 1 GB RAM, x1600 ATI GPU (128 MB VRAM), and 100 GB HDD.

Okay, when this thing is on the desk, it runs perfect. Away from the desk, works until I move while it's running. Or, if I tilt at an angle, it instantly turns off. Is this some sort of cable issue? I have no clue why this would be... however, it's religious. I have tried it many times, and it always fails when tilted at an angle.

Anyone have any ideas? I am a little clueless. I want to give it to my wife, but it needs to work everywhere for her.

2. Scottsdale thread starter macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Also. When I "tip" it backwards. it immediately reboots. If I tip it forwards, nothing happens.

So weird!

Any ideas? Ground problem? It does it when it's plugged in or on battery. It does it if battery is removed or in computer.

3. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Sounds like a dodgy S.M.A.R.T. utility issue or a lose power cable on the logic board

4. tjb1 macrumors 68000

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm... Does it do it happen on both battery power and mains adapter or just one? If so, which? both?

If you need a replacement logic board, forget Apple, try here; this one's a 1.83Ghz CoreDuo.

6. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Yea, sounds like something is loose. Best to just leave it where it works. :p

7. Scottsdale thread starter macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Why would it be a logic board? :confused:

To me, knowing that it works perfectly while untouched on a desk, makes me think it has to be a cable, short, or something minor. I was hopeful someone would give me ideas or has had experience with this themselves. I wouldn't have considered it to be a logic board given the symptoms...

I would really like to make this work as a notebook not just as a desktop. Keep the advice coming... thanks everyone that has responded so far.

8. tjb1 macrumors 68000

If you tip it really slow so your not jolting it or anything does it still restart/shutdown? and which ways does it shut off? Tilt Forward - Tilt Backward - Tilt Left - Tilt Right

9. Scottsdale thread starter macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Yes, it shutsdown and reboots instantly only when tipping backwards. Not when tipping forwards, nor right or left... WEIRD!

10. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Can you pop the bottom off and look at cables?

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Physically looking at the cables at this point is gonna be fruitless, the OP will need a multi-meter to check that every connection is solid (even while it's in motion). My thinking, if it is indeed cause by a loose connector, wouldn't the machine fail even when it's stationary?

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

You've still not said, does it happen on Battery power or Mains adaptor.
    Did you check the battery connector, both external and internal? There could be a loose connection, unlikely.. but worth checking.

Have you taken the top off yet? There's a chance, one of the RF foam things is loose, rolling around on top of the logic-board and moving the system about could theoretically be shorting something out! :eek: Thus shutting down!! - very dangerous...

Well... Technically there's only a handful of components in your MB, plus a load of inter-connections between them, until you take the thing to bits to physically check/diagnose, you'll never know it's underlying cause! We could discuss our every thought, till the cows come home and still not solve your issues.

Personally, I would definitely remove the top case and do some testing, if you examine the top of the logic-board carefully (near the memory slots and keyboard connector) you'll find a couple of pads which allows you to boot up the machine without the top-case keyboard/trackpad attached - you'll need a tiny screwdriver to short them - enables power-up.

If the machine works faultlessly with the top-case removed, then it's caused by a short. Go examine the back of the top-case, removing anything bits of foam from there.

When it comes to power, you need to find out does it fail on battery or mains cause it's electrical paths and voltages are different!! Electrical paths from the Mag-Lite go via the left i/o board, connects to the logic-board via a thick locking cable. Usually if the machine is charging fine it's highly unlikely to be a faulty i/o board; which only leaves the logic-board!

If it's failing while powered on battery or possibly both, then i'm sorry to say there's a chance it's gonna be a logic-board issue. In which case you'll probably need to replace it!!! By far the easiest route.

If you're this electronic guru you've not told us about and you like challenges, you might like to search the net and source the correct version of it's circuit diagram/schematics.

Ready? Take apart:
    http://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Pro_15"_Core_Duo_Model_A1150

13. Scottsdale thread starter macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Thanks a lot for all of the information. I am going to try this tonight.

One thing. I did say that it does happen with battery only, battery in and charging, battery out and charging. It happens every way with every power source.

I will get back to you with results on removing top case and testing. I also wonder if there is something between display and case? I mean when tilting back, it almost seems that is what is moving? Maybe? Hell, I don't know.

Thanks for all you wrote up. I will put it to some use in a bit.

UPDATE

Tried what you suggested... same problem with top case off.

Here it is again. Battery in or out... Charger on or off.
    Computer dies/reboots when tilted... moved backwards.
    The same thing happens with top case off.

Here is the deal, it seems PERFECT when I don't touch it. If I leave it plugged into a 23" ACD, and use the BlueTooth Keyboard and Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, It is shear perfection of a Mac. The problem is, it seems like a Mac mini of sorts, as in it doesn't work as a MacBOOK Pro. The notebook part is important because it's for my wife.

I guess it becomes some irrelevant machine if I cannot get it working other than as a desktop. Still worth a pretty penny to me even as a desktop. Hell, the display is beautiful and the rest of it is really nice. Just only works as a desktop Mac.

I am no wiring/electrical guru, so that is out. I don't know what else to check. I did check all of the wiring to see if it "feels" correct, but again no expert there. I do know an electrical guy, but he doesn't have time to jerk around with my laptop for my wife. Not like it's mission critical.

It just seems that someone out there has probably experienced this before? Seems odd to me that it can be a logic board yet work perfectly fine when used as a desktop Mac. Seems like would fail irregardless unless it's a short, or loose wire... either not a logic board.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

14. Scottsdale thread starter macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Any other ideas? Is there some sort of "case open" sensor that kills the OS? It almost seems like it could be something that simple??? I know Dell's have a warning like that and if the desktop case is open it kills the computer. It almost seems like a power issue of some sort too? Like it just loses power when tilted backwards.