iPhone X Weird problem slowing iPhone X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by citivolus, Jun 18, 2018.

1. citivolus macrumors 6502a

I have been experiencing a weird problem recently where my iPhone X will slow to a crawl and really heat up. Usually happens when I am running Google Maps and navigating in my car while the iPhone is in my wireless charging cradle. When it happens I run the program Lirum Info and took a screenshot of the "CPU" status which showed that several of the CPU's are disabled...What gives?

I don't know what definitely causes it to stop but I quit Google Maps and eventually it goes back to normal. All apps and iOS are up to date.

Attached Files:

2. AceMason macrumors 6502

Happens to me as well. Especially when I’m in the car and the phone is charging while using GPS. Once the phone cools down and is out of direct sunlight, it starts to function normally again.

3. atton macrumors regular

atton

Wireless charging produces a lot of heat. Add direct sunlight to that, your phone could be overheating and in turn throttling itself to reduce temperatures.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

It could be caused by a problem with the Google app. That would be my guess.

5. citivolus thread starter macrumors 6502a

I suspected this as well. Is there any app that I can run to check if the temperature threshold has been exceeded?

6. chabig macrumors 603

If it gets too hot it will shut itself down. That’s the threshold.

7. Julienne macrumors member

Julienne

Google maps apparently keeps the location services open at all times. Google maps uses a ton of battery and causes the phone to heat up. My 7 is on Google maps all day and i had to buy a portable battery case so it wouldn't die on me. Maps are battery killers. Just need to accept it. Your phone is cool.

8. Nisaja macrumors 6502a

Happened to me once when I was using Google maps. The phone was charging and under direct sunlight. It was like an iPhone 2G running iOS 11. It got better after it cooled down.

9. citivolus thread starter macrumors 6502a

I will try doing everything the same today and not plugging in my wireless charger to see if that is related...

10. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Yeah, sunlight + gps + charging = extreme heat.

11. alfonsog macrumors 6502

alfonsog

I deleted Google Maps and now I'm really liking Apple Maps. It doesn't take me on nonsensical routes like Google Maps and Waze do sometimes. And Google Maps always made my X hot.

12. citivolus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just did a test where I took a drive for 20 minutes using Google Maps and had the charging cable for the cradle unplugged. The phone was in direct sunlight the whole time. When I got to my destination, I noticed the same issue was occurring with the phone slowing down. I am guessing it is overheating due to being in direct sunlight. Is there an app that shows the internal temperature of the iPhone?