weird problem trying to combine two video files with QT Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by evillageprowler, Jan 30, 2009.

1. evillageprowler macrumors regular

I have this movie that came in a double-sided DVD. I ripped each side using Handbrake to a .m4v file. Each file plays just fine in QT, iPhone and ATV.

However, when I used QT Pro to combine them to an .mov file, I get the following results:
    - QT (and iTunes) plays entire video fine
    - no audio from the first half of the combined video when played on ATV
    - no audio from the second half when played with VLC

(The instructions I am following are from page 31 of this: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/QuickTime_7.2_User_Guide.pdf)

When I take that combined .mov file and converted to .m4v using Handbrake, I get the following results:
    - QT+VLC play no audio on second half
    - ATV isn't letting me ffwd and it thinks the entire video file is one big chapter, and I haven't gotten to the second half to know if there is audio (first half has audio)

Now... I know that the issues with the .m4v that I generated from Handbrake doesn't mean much, so let's just focus on my issues with the .mov file if you agree that the .m4v playback issues aren't relevant.

What am I doing wrong with QT Pro when trying to combine the two halves of my movie into one large video file? If it matters, the movie is only 2:27 total length. I've not had a problem ripping DVD movies with Handbrake. And, finally, I can join my two halves on my Windows box using AVS Video Convertor.

Surely there must be a way to easily join two ripped .m4v files into one using QT Pro and not get weird audio issues...

TIA,

EVP

2. msheldrick macrumors regular

QuickTime Pro can actually export files into a range of formats, just go to File>Export>Save. this may fix your problem...

3. evillageprowler thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. This did the trick. However, I noticed that I lost the chapter settings. Not a big deal since I haven't made any use of the ability to jump/ffwd to the next chapter.

EVP