weird problem with blackbook batter

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Martron, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Martron macrumors regular

so my comp is only about 6 or 7 months old and i'm having some weird issues with the battery. it's working fine and i just wanna keep it working at its best capacity. anyway, it usually charges up to 100% but sometimes it says 99% and that "battery is charged" So i'll unplug it and let it drop to say, 95% or so, and plug it back in again and it will still have the green light on and say "battery is charged." so i'll just have to let it drop down to the 80s or lower. is there any way to correct this?

for example, i left it sleeping last night, but not plugged in and when i turned it on and plugged it in the battery was at 95% even tho it was at 100% when i put it to sleep and when i plugged it in, it just said "battery is charged." is it a problem with the reading of the battery or the actual battery? any suggestions?

thanks

2. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

It won't start charging unless its below 95%. No, its a design feature of the battery to keep it healthy. Its not a problem with the battery.

3. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

It's normal. The battery is charged only after it goes below 95% (or similar value) to avoid continually charging, which could damage the battery.

4. Martron thread starter macrumors regular

ah makes sense, but why does it stop at 99% sometimes?

5. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

It's probably just displaying a slightly incorrect battery charge. You can try a calibration like it is described here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490