weird problem with LaCie external hard drives

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by yotoad, May 21, 2008.

1. yotoad macrumors member

i just got two LaCie 1TB externals -- one for time machine and one for media (iTunes, home movies, etc.)

i couldn't see the hard drive on the desktop when connecting with Firewire 800, so i hooked up FW400 and ran the LaCie firmware updater, which worked fine on both drives. i was a little frustrated that the FW800 wasn't working, but i attributed it to the firmware being outdated. so after updating them the FW800 still doesn't mount both drives and the FW400 only mounts one of the drives (the one for time machine)!

i don't think it's the LaCie, but it might be.

the only thing i'm thinking right now is to hook them up to the USB and re-format them with Disk utility. i'm concerned that i won't be able to see one of the drives, and having to settle for FW400 when i have FW800 is ridiculous.

any help?
    thanks!

2. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Yeah that's weird alright.

I also have two LaCie d2 HD's connected to my 24" iMac via FW800 (250GB + 1TB). Both run just fine, and are very very fast. Did you update the firmware individually, with only one drive connected at a time? Also try shutting everything down and physically unplugging everything from power (power only, not FireWire). I have experienced weird HD mounting issues in the past that are best resolved by a "cold start". Also try a different FW800 cable, sometimes they have manufacturing flaws and just don't work. If the weirdness continues, try to narrow-down your problem to one of the two drives and go from there. :apple:

3. yotoad thread starter macrumors member

well i followed the instructions in this link from apple:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88338

and both drives are recognized through FW800! that's the good news.

the bad news is that only one mounts to the desktop . . . both are recognized through the FW800 port, but i can only see one (the one i'm using for time machine) on the desktop/disk utility.

i'm talking to LaCie about this right now, so i'm hoping to get this other drive replaced. I'm looking to using it for media backup (iTunes and movies), and until i figure out that it's working i'm not going to move ANYTHING!

thanks!