Weird Problem with Leopard on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by moez, Nov 5, 2007.

1. moez macrumors regular

Ok couple of problems which I am facing which I thought I should ask real geniuses first:

I installed Leopard couple of days back and since then, my keyboard would stop responding.... it just wont type... ANYTHING.... usually after a minute or two it would come back, but its kinda annoying. Also, when I wake my computer up from sleep, the computer slows down alot.... the mouse has a visible lag and bringing up dashboard etc is also slow. Its not RAM coz I have 700MB FREE and around 180 as INACTIVE. Any suggestions. Is this a bug in leopard or is my installation messed up. Also, does it really take this long to boot leopard. For me, its atleast 30 seconds to 1 minute extra.

Oh and also (not related to leopard) when I close the screen, there is alot of space between the two sides.... you could easily pass 3-4 sheets of papers from both ends. Is this normal?

Thanks for the help.

2. galder macrumors newbie

I know it's not really much of a help, but I'm experiencing the mouse lag problem too. Also, the machine often takes forever to wake from sleep. I hope Apple adresses these issues soon. I did a completely clean install of leopard.

3. tomoisyourgod macrumors regular

I'm about to buy a new MBP - and I'm a little concerned after reading up on this site of problems that are occurring with Leopard 10.5 - it appears that it's happening to people who are doing installs...

... anyone having problems with new systems? (as in pre-loaded when purchased)

4. cptpower macrumors regular

cptpower

i see occasional mouse lag, but nothing severe enough that I'd event take notice of it (though I'm a recent Windows-switcher, so maybe I'm just used to that all). No problems with the keyboard lag though.

As for the gap on the sides, it is relatively normal. I've got a gap on the left hand side of mine; sounds about the same size as your's. Its still closed, so personally I'm not too concerned with it. There are some threads here that suggest a way to fix it is to leave it overnight with a dictionary or something on top of it to reduce the gap, but I'd rather just leave it instead of forcing it down like that.

I just bought my MBP on the 26th (after Leopard was released) and had the disc dropped into the box. Opened it up when it arrived and the first thing I did was install Leopard. Simple process, no hiccups, and it is running beautifully! My advice to anyone considering getting one of these machines is go for it!

5. moez thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm... 5 days and still having the same problems.... anyone have any ideas?

6. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie

Mine has none of these problems so how can it be a leopard problem? It is more like a settings problem on your end. Otherwise every MBP owner would be having these problems.
    I have the gap problem thou like most do.

7. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

Of course it could still be a Leopard problem. There are so many variables from one machine to another that mean that it could well be a Leopard bug that only affects certain users. Sure it could be a specific configuration issue but that could still be a Leopard issue. The OS is so new!

8. KJdanReuben macrumors regular

I have problems with mine as well. None that you have, except for the slow wake up sometimes; this really aggravates me. But mine keeps crashing. It will just randomly have a gray screen roll down from the top with the power button emblem in the back. It says I need to restart my computer, hold down the power button until it shuts off. Then when it reboots, which usually takes between 30 and 45 seconds, it says that Mac OS X quit unexpectedly. This has happened when I plug in my keyboard and mouse, but also when scrolling through iTunes with nothing plugged into it. Any ideas as to what this could be? All I did was an update when I installed it. Thanks.

9. mcmacmcmac macrumors member

I'm having the same keyboard issues but i don't know to what extent really. It stopped responding once i rebooted and then it was fine. But sometimes i think it doesn't register the 1st letter i type but I'm not sure I might be imagining that. I'll see if it was just a one time thing.. if it happens again I'll call Apple.. I also recently installed leopard, its a new mbp.

10. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie

If we are running the same exact MBP and mine runs good and yours doesn't it would not be a leopard problem. If you installed software that I didn't and is not leopard compatible how is that a Leopard problem? Sounds like it would be the companies problem for not making their software work with Leopard. Of course if the software is apple software than that is a different story LOL.
    I see allot of people blaming Leopard for something that could be their own fault.

11. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I have the sleep issue but the mouse/keyboard lag you speak of I do not know.

12. hellokittytiara macrumors newbie

I have the unresponsive keyboard issue and I'm convinced it is a Leopard problem. As I said in another thread, I've had my MBP since September and I never had a single keyboard freeze on Tiger. The problem started with Leopard. After putting up with it for a week I went back to Tiger, and guess what? Zero keyboard freezes. Hopefully this will be fixed in the next Leopard update, because apart from this issue, Leopard is amazing.

13. moez thread starter macrumors regular

It has to be a leopard issue because
    a) it wasnt there in Tiger
    b) i dont have ay haxie (like APE) or something else which could cause it.
    c) it goes away after restart ad only starts after it has awaken from sleep.

Maybe its a bug or something. Like hellokittytiara, I migyt b going back to Tiger... too bad :(

14. obecian macrumors newbie

I'm experiencing the same problem with mouse lag upon waking from sleep.
    MBP 2.4
    2 gb RAM

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I too have the wake-up from sleep problem.

2.2ghz SR MBP here.

16. yellowtip macrumors newbie

I too have this terrible keyboard issue. Happy to see I'm not the only one.

I've had my SantaRosa MBP since July and never experienced any keyboard issues. Since upgrading to Leopard, this problem started to occur.

Keyboard becomes completely unresponsive for about 10 seconds and then starts working again.

A very strange problem indeed.

17. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

I have the keyboard problem. It only happened 2 times so far, and had me worried. It only happened the week after I installed leopard.

Also, My MBP also has the gap on the left side. The right side is fine. My gap is probably about 4-5 pieces of paper big. Its lame. IMO its a defect apple should address. I have no clue what caused it, it came out of the box like that. wtf?

I have no mouse lag though.

18. aussiejames macrumors member

Yeah, I'm experiencing the mouse lag also when waking from sleep. Seems the only way to deal with it for now is to restart until apple presents us with a software update.

19. cptpower macrumors regular

cptpower

After using my brand new MBP with Leopard for a couple of weeks, I've had this problem happen only once. The two things I noticed that were different about this time compared to any other time I had woken it from sleep were:

put to sleep with the screen saver on-screen
    one of my longest periods between restarts (only about 5 or 6 days, but longer than I've had in the past).

Maybe something with the screen-saver? has anyone else noticed a correlation like this?

20. embolia macrumors newbie

Hi!
    I have the same problemos that you, but they came after installation of xp on boot camp. I dont have keybord freezing but sometimes osx is lagging. Only reboot is helping.

21. debaire macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issue, but it doesn't happen always. This is only the second time, but when I close the lid and it goes to sleep, when I open the lid it comes back. The mouse is slow to respond at first and then jerky but eventually is fully functional. However, the keyboard is not functional at all. I have to go into System Preferences and play around with the settings for the keyboard to come back and then the keyboard starts working.
    However, from what I can tell, if I'm just clicking around and not using the keyboard at all, it stops working and I have to keep pressing keys until it is responsive again. It keeps going in and out. If I continue typing it seems to be ok. For example, I didn't have any problems typing this whole post, but it took awhile to get to the textbox so when I was finally ready to type, I had to wait until the keyboard came back.
    I'm on a MacBook Pro 2.4GHz with 2GB RAM bought at the end of Oct. so even though it came with Tiger, I had a free Leopard upgrade that I did the next day. Also, I've done the 10.5.1 update and it hasn't helped.

22. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

Hi,

I've also had this problem with the keyboard immediately after installing the 10.5, but after updating to 1.5.1 it's gone.

What remains is an extreme battery draining. My MBP now hardly works for an hour (on its battery)...

But what's even more annoying, I'm not getting any warning when the battery nears its critical level, -- and when the battery is empty, the MPB just shuts out -- without any warning. It happened twice while I was working, and all the work has been lost. Highly unpleasant.

Cheers,
    sash

23. aly macrumors member

Eugh!

Well my problems started back in the days of Tiger. I would be using my MBP without problem, restart and the keyboard and trackpad would stop working. Originally I had the problem in Windows under Bootcamp and I assumed it was a windows problem but it soon appeard in Tiger as well. Eventually restarting had no effect and the keyboard and trackpad completely dead. Off to the genius bar and got the keyboard and trackpad replaced, and everything was ok.....for about a month. Exact same problem occured and no amount of restarts would revive the keyboard and mouse. So back again and they replaced the logic board, keyboard and trackpad and all was well again until the other day. Problem has developed again but at the moment restarting seems to work. If it persists I think i am entitled to a replacement MBP as everything has been replaced. As the repairs appear to sort the problem for a while I am sure this is a hardware problem rather than software, at least in my case.

24. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

What do your processes look like. I am having an issue with syslogd and mDNSresponce processes taking up all my CPU. I have come to the conclusion that all I can do is a clean install.