Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Dominus Mortem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
When I'm writing in Word I'm constantly, accidentally pasting from the clipboard into the document. I'm using the latest version of Word. It's something about the way I type. I think I'm hitting some kind of shortcut, or my palm is activating something by hitting the touchpad (it's gigantic and no way you can type without touching it). It only happens on the 16" MBP. I can write on other MacBooks in Word and it doesn't happen. I actually have other issues with those. On 13" MacBook Pros with touch bar I'm always hitting the font format part of the Touch Bar and accidentally underling, changing colors, or bolding text. But on the 16" it's this infernal, and regular, pasting problem.

Ideas? Anyone else notice this? Any suggestions on how to cure it?

sat24

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2019
When I'm writing in Word I'm constantly, accidentally pasting from the clipboard into the document. I'm using the latest version of Word. It's something about the way I type. I think I'm hitting some kind of shortcut, or my palm is activating something by hitting the touchpad (it's gigantic and no way you can type without touching it). It only happens on the 16" MBP. I can write on other MacBooks in Word and it doesn't happen. I actually have other issues with those. On 13" MacBook Pros with touch bar I'm always hitting the font format part of the Touch Bar and accidentally underling, changing colors, or bolding text. But on the 16" it's this infernal, and regular, pasting problem.

Ideas? Anyone else notice this? Any suggestions on how to cure it?
In case you are referring to the touch bar (and not the trackpad), yes I have run into this as well. Purely human error on my part. My left pinky usually rests where the F1 key resides it turns out, and that maps to the BACK button on the touch bar. That has caused lot of issues for me (accidentally going back in the browser losing state - once my chat window with an apple tech went bust because of this!).

I use BTT (BetterTouchTool) to customize my touchbar and I modified it to leave a gap so that I dont have this problem anymore. See pic below (right above the "1" key).

touchbar_btt.png

Dominus Mortem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
I'm not hitting the touch bar, that is correct, and I'm also not hitting cmd-v. I think a text substitution is possible. Not a prank though, no one has touched this machine besides me. Food for thought. I've been using Pages for the last day and it doesn't happen there, so I've all but ruled out the MBP as being the culprit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.