Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcmillan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
I always have problems making my Internet work, but this is by far the weirdest thing I've seen. I'm writing on a PB right now, which is in the same network as my Mini. This computer and a PC are connected, but my Mini is not. I've not changed any options, but I can tell you what is on the PB and what is the configuration on the Mini.

These are the preferences in the one that is working (PB):

Configure IPv4: Using DHCP
IP Address: 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.1.1

Everything else in the TCP/IP section is empty, except the long IPv6 Address

Now, this is the configuration of the Mac Mini (the on that is not working):

IP Address: 169.254.173.205
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Router: Empty... weird :confused:

Again, everything else is empty except IPv6.

I'm using a linksys base station, and everything used to work perfectly until yesterday, and I haven't changed anything. Help please... many thanks in advance.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
You can probably manually set it to ...

IP Address: 192.168.1.110 (or basically anything slightly outside the normal DHCP range used)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.1.1

And it will probably work.

The preference could have been corrupted, and/or something got switched.

Basically it's just saying that it cannot get an IP address using DHCP, don't know why.

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
169.254.x.x addresses are auto assigned when an IP address cannot be assigned via DHCP. Sounds like your Mac Mini is having network connectivity issues. Try it with a different cable. If that doesn't work, try it with the cable your powerbook is using. If you are using wireless reboot the Mac Mini, if its still broke, reboot the router, then the mac mini again.

mcmillan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Problem solved. My brother that knows a bit more about networking helped me here. Somehow the router wasn't assigning my Mini an IP address, since the networks is unsecured someone could've changed the router settings. I never really bothered about it since I'm in Venezuela, and not much people have wireless cards here, but it seems like Wi-fi is gaining terrain. We will take care of securing our network tomorrow. Thanks for the help everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.