Weird Problem?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by timmyxdd, Mar 18, 2011.

1. timmyxdd macrumors newbie

So I my iPhone 3G (4.2.1) has finally found reception. On the top left, I see full bars and the word "T-Mobile", with the letter E next to it.

Why can't I receive or make calls? Once I try to call my home phone, I don't even hear the beeps on my iPhone, and when I try to call my iPhone, it just sits there.

Can anyone help? Thank you!

2. Badfoot macrumors 6502

That's a weird problem.

3. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I assume you're either in Germany or roaming in the US, and don't have a jailbreak.
    If you're roaming in the US, then it's easy. Roaming does not include voice, just data as far as I know.
    If you're in Germany, your phone is messed up.

4. timmyxdd thread starter macrumors newbie

I live in USA. And, what is roaming?

5. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

The iPhone is supposed to be stuck on AT&T. Unless you jailbroke and unlocked your iPhone, you cannot get a plan from another carrier. However, you are able to use their signal.
    Roaming is when you're bound to a contract to a company (In this case, AT&T) but you use another company's (T-Mobile) service, mostly because you don't have signal or you want to waste money. On the iPhone, roaming is restricted to data only (hence the option "Data Roaming").

Roaming can also be used in other countries, for example using Orange in U.K. with an AT&T iPhone.

Roaming costs a crapload. Go to Settings.app - General - Network and see if Data Roaming is enabled.

6. timmyxdd thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so now I found reception, but I can't make calls, and my iPhone can't receive calls.

My friend told me that I have to go back to the T-Mobile store and let those guys do something to my SIM card. Is this true?

If not, then what do I do?

7. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Your friend is somewhat loopy. You can't go to a T-Mobile store for an iPhone; they don't sell them. Where did you buy the phone from, and for how much?
    Whose service do you have now, AT&T or T-Mobile?
    DID YOU OR WHOEVER YOU BOUGHT IT FROM UNLOCK OR JAILBREAK THAT PHONE?
    Did you try to insert a T-Mobile SIM into an AT&T iPhone?
    Is your phone unlocked and/or jailbroken right now?
    Was roaming on?