Weird Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mcguidance, Dec 13, 2008.

1. mcguidance macrumors member

I have successfully connected my AlumMacBook to my LG TV - the picture is amazing. I did this through minidisplayport to dvi, then dvi to hdmi. I then bought a 3.5mm audio to RCA cable (pic attached). I get the audio working but not with the picture. I get the picture working, but not with the audio. I understand that the DVI to HDMI does not support sound, but where do I plug in my 3.5 to RCA to get it working with the sound? There are no RCA jacks next to my HDMI insert on the back of my tv. There are a lot of RCA, but none work while I am connected though the HDMI input?? How do I get the sound to play while I am watching the picture? Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. mcguidance thread starter macrumors member

Come on guys, anything you can think of to help would be great. I get picture fine, but no sound when trying to use the same input...does that mean the only way to get sound AND video working simultaneously is to use an input like composite?

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can't get audio from a separate source when you're getting video from HDMI. I know of no TVs that can do that.

4. imapfsr macrumors regular

imapfsr

Tallest Skill is right, the nature of HDMI is picture and sound so if you have the HDMI connected you will be unable to get sound. The only way would be if your HDMI input on your TV also had a seperate audio input which I have never seen. Sorry

5. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Can't you take the audio input into a different device like a vcr or a receiver?

6. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

You could do this but you might run into an audio delay. Just a thought.

7. mcguidance thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses - a couple more questions. Are there any HDMI cables that support sound? Also, would an audio receiver do away with this problem, as I could put the audio from my computer into the receiver, and then connect the receiver to the and other speakers?

Also, a better receiver supports HDMI, correct? So couldn't I connect both the HDMI from my MB and the audio from my computer and put it into that?

8. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

HDMI cables do support sound just not from computers as of yet. They have not integrated the sound card in with the video out...

9. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Doubtful. You are looking at 2 different channels on the receiver. you would not be able to run both channels (1 channel for the HDMI input and 1 Channel for the audio input) at the same time. Unless they make receivers that can do that.. not sure :confused:

10. mcguidance thread starter macrumors member

So it was kind of worthless of me to buy an HDMI cable if I wanted to watch movies on my LCD tv? Now that I have a minidisplayport to DVI, what is the best way to get both video AND audio?

11. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Well, I'm sorry to say but you can go and buy the DVI->Video adapter that Apple sells (sure you can find it on Amazon) and hook up to the Video input on your tv with the corresponding audio inputs...

12. mcguidance thread starter macrumors member

Would you be able to direct me to what exactly I need?

13. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

This is what I am talking about. http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9267G/A but like I said you could probably find it on Amazon cheaper and the audio you can use that
    RAC -> 3.5' cable you already have...

14. mcguidance thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I wish I could find it on monoprice or something but I don't seem to see it. Thanks though, at least now I know what I am looking for.