Weird problems in os x 10.6

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jiE, Nov 10, 2009.

1. jiE macrumors regular

Sep 1, 2007
    Hi. I am having several problems with my macbook pro classic.
    Im running 10.6.1.
    When i start the computer and the grey screen comes up with the apple logo etc., a grey "loading" bar has started appearing in the bottom of the screen. Takes a few minutes for it to go away. In the meantime the computer gets very hot and the fans are up to 6000 rpm. Then the os starts up, and I cannot download anything, due to the fact that it thinks my harddrive is full, though i have more than 100 gb of free space.
    I cannot open word because it says im out of memory. A quick look in istat pro will tell me that i have 1,33 gb of free memory available. Every task that requires memory gives me an error..
    This morning i tried installing the 10.6.2 but i failed halfway through. then the memory issues started.
    I cant even download the 10.6.2 now due to the harddrive appears to be full..
    Backup and reinstall, only option?
  2. jiE thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 1, 2007
    tried to do a repair of the mac hd with a mac os x install disc, but it failed. I ended up with doing a backup and reinstall, now working perfect again.
  3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    For reference, the bar was the MacOS doing a disk check, because something had gotten corrupted (as you figured out), and rather badly.

Your solution was the correct one, though I would keep a close eye for anything else odd, and make sure you maintain good backups--it may have just been freak data corruption, but there's a chance the hard drive is dying and that's what caused things to go awry.

Also educational for me, as you confirmed that 10.6 shows a progress bar while it's attempting a disk check at boot, as I'd guessed based on another question here. That wasn't the case through 10.5 and I haven't been unlucky enough to see it myself thus far.