Weird question about 3.1.2... downgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by TheSpaz, Oct 13, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

If I update my iPhone 3G to 3.1.2 just to get the newest baseband will I be able to downgrade to 2.2.1 again and have service?

The reason I ask is because 3.1.2 was supposed to fix some network problems and that means it's probably related to the baseband version.

So can I upgrade to 3.1.2 and then downgrade to 2.2.1?

2. koollectablz macrumors 6502

3. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm just a little worried that I'll run into a baseband version one day that won't be compatible with 2.2.1 or something and I'll be forced to use 3.x.

But hey, it's one of the downsides of being on old software.

4. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

5. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I don't wanna turn this into a 2.2.1 vs 3.x thread. Just believe me... I'd rather be on 2.2.1. It's what I like.

6. Goodeye macrumors 6502a

Goodeye

Carl please dont get this going. But if your really curious why it's because on 2.2.1 some selection boxes were 1 pixel to the right of where they are now on the screen. ;)

7. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

You're wicked funny.

There are 3 main things that bug me about 3.x that I just can't get over, so I'm stuck on 2.2.1

1. Opening apps on my iPhone 3G stutters. Sometimes I don't even see the icons fly away. It looks terrible. I hope Apple fixes this sometime.

http://web.me.com/thespaz/HomeScreenAni.gif <-- this is what I expect.
    http://web.me.com/thespaz/HomeScreenAni2.gif <-- this is what I get.

2. Yes, on the iPhone, iPhone 3G and iPod touch the joined buttons are slightly distorted and one pixel short of what it should be. It looks bad. However, the same buttons on the iPhone 3GS are perfect... don't know why they made them different. It annoys me.
    [​IMG]

3. In Messages, the text in the text input field is 1 pixel too high. There is too much white space under the characters. It looks bad. No other text field is like that in the entire iPhone OS. All other fields seem centered. In other words... the Text app looks better on 2.2.1. Plus, I hate the new sending progress bar that covers up the person's name when you're sending something.
    [​IMG]

Those 3 things are keeping me from 3.x.

Please do not make fun of me... it's my own preference. 2.2.1 is what I like and it performs great. It's the perfect OS for me. I do miss copy and paste sometimes, but I can live without it.

Attached Files:

8. Goodeye macrumors 6502a

Goodeye

Hate to tell you spaz your like the only person who actually notices that. Or if not that anyone that can even slightly tell the difference really doesn't care because the phone still works and does what they need it to.

And secondly my wife is a well off graphic designer and even she has a hard time seeing the difference (said she could tell but it's almost not even noticeable) But dude in all honesty its not that bad and you would be hard pressed to find ANY smartphone upgrade that didn't do this on some parts of the OS. I will never get why you are so freaking picky over one freaking pixel your eyesight can't be that good is it? You got some sort of bionic eyes over there?

9. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

My eyesight really is that good. I noticed it without even comparing it. I just know how the buttons look. Look at any other recessed button in the whole entire OS… they all have sharp edges. Also, why is the iPhone 3GS correct while the iPhone 3G is not? What does that tell you? It tells me that Apple noticed it and fixed it in the 3GS software, but didn't notice that it wasn't fixed on the iPhone/iPhone 3G software.

Apple takes design very seriously and so do I. I don't want a half-assed UI design on my iPhone… I'd rather have the faster, smoother, better looking UI of 2.2.1.

10. The General macrumors 601

good question. i dont think anyone has ever tested this before. good luck.

11. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Okay, I just found out that the 3.1.2 baseband is the same as 3.1 baseband… I already have the 3.1 baseband version on my 2.2.1 so I'm all set. I don't have to do anything… whew.