Weird question about international traveling with 2 iPhone 4's

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jmcclain145, Nov 11, 2010.

1. jmcclain145 macrumors regular

jmcclain145

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I have a friend who is traveling to germany soon to visit friends and family. She wants to buy my iPhone because it's unlocked and her friend wanted her to buy a iPhone because it's cheaper here.

Long story short she also owns a iPhone 4 and wanted to know if she takes 2 internationally will there be a issue with customs(ie. Being taxed on the second iPhone?)

Thanks in advance!

2. TinyTears macrumors newbie

No.

Plenty of people have a personal phone and a business phone, also surely the phone she is using will be on her person and the phone for her friend will be in a suitcase? It'll be fine.

3. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Unlikely to have a problem with the second phone unless it was in a sealed box, with a receipt as well. However, the more important issue is that the phone will not be unlocked to work in Germany and there is no unlock for the IP4 and non expected soon.
    If you had the possibility to pick an unlocked one up from the Apple store in Canada that would make a lot more sense.

4. uhuphi macrumors newbie

5. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Very expensive for a locked phone in Germany! No wonder our jailbroken and unlocked US phones sell for such a premium!!

6. jmcclain145 thread starter macrumors regular

jmcclain145

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

So your saying my unlocked iPhone 4 will not work over there? I preserved my baseband at 1.59.00 via tiny umbrella and used ultrasn0w to unlock. Why wouldn't it work there?

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Yours should work no problem! :cool:

8. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Your unlocked phone will work fine. The one you buy for your friend will have the latest software and baseband and you will not be able to unlock it.

9. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

...at least for a month or so. Tell them not to upgrade to iOS4.2 though, until we hear from the Dev team. Maybe your friend is patient.