Weird question about MyBook external

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macfearless, Jun 7, 2009.

1. macfearless macrumors regular

So i have a 500gb MyBook studio and recently bought an iMac. Does the MyBook have to be stood up, or can I lay it on its side? Ideally, I'd like to lay it right under the screen on the iMac stand.

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Hard Drives these days can be placed horizontally or vertically. Probably even in some odd diagonal position as well (though I wouldn't recommend that if possible). Basically as long as you don't violently move the drive while it is running and have it secured in its position then you are OK.

Macs have almost always had their drives mounted internally on a horizontal (at least, I can't think of a vertical placed drive in any of their desktops edit: AH! Of course, the current iMacs. Can't believe I didn't think of that MacManiac76.) while many PC desktops will have their drives positioned vertically; so don't worry about that.

3. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

The first thing that came to mind when reading this was the iMac. Obviously the iMac cannot have the drive mounted horizontally and still be as thin as it is. The iMac mounts the drive vertically and have not heard of any problems with it because of this design, so I think it's safe to say that you will be just fine laying it whichever way you choose.

4. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

You can get gamer docks that stand a bare drive on it's end. All I really think they are concerned with these days is that you feed them juice and data.

Dale