Weird question: Do you close your other eye when looking through the viewfinder?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by cutsman, Jun 23, 2007.

1. cutsman macrumors regular

I'm not sure if one way is more proper than the other, but do you close your other eye when you're looking through the viewfinder? I find I can see better with my other eye closed, but with it open, i am able to see my surroundings... ie. cars or if some1 is about to walk into my shot...

Oh ya, and i also tend to make a funny face when i close my eye when shooting... my friend was making fun of me the other day... :rolleyes:

2. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

I close it. Helps me focus on what the photo is going to be. I open it for a moment if there's something I need to check, but when I commit to taking the photo it's closed. :)

3. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

No I shoot with my left eye so my right behind my camera. I like having the awareness that having both eyes open gives.

4. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Yes. I would assume it would be hard to compose a shot otherwise:

[​IMG]

^^My avatar... Eye closed. :)

5. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I close them both. :D

(Yes I close my other eye)

6. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

Most of the time I close my left eye (right eye is glued to the viewfinder). I prefer to keep both eyes open, but it just isn't practical.

7. JDN macrumors 6502a

I shoot with my right eye closed, I find it distracting otherwise.

8. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

I shoot with my right eye and I usually close my other eye to help me focus more on what I see in the viewfinder. However, there are times where I leave my left eye open to help me fully observe a scene with a lot of movement and once I see something that's shot worthy I quickly jump my focus back over to my right eye.

9. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

With cameras, rifles and pistols I close one eye when I'm not thinking about it and keep both open when I'm concentrating more on shooting than on the focus point or sights.

10. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

Sometimes if I'm at a concert with people all around me I'll keep the other eye open but usually if its bright then I'll keep it closed.

11. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I close the other eye, whats the point in keeping it open, half of what you see is the top of the camera, well in my case it is.

12. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Most times I am scanning a 180 degree plane for which surfer is going to catch a wave (beach break) so I need the left eye to see what else is going on outside of the frame at all times. If my subject wipes out or misses his wave I need a back-up plan, as I hate to see some shredder throwing twenty feet of spray right after I open my other eye and I've missed the shot.:eek:

For portraits and landscape, etc... I close my left eye while framing the picture.:)

13. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

It depends on the type of shooting I'm doing. For micro shots for example I'll keep one eye closed, for candid shots I'll keep both eyes open.