Weird Question Mark folder on Startup?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by moderngamenewb, Aug 24, 2011.

1. moderngamenewb macrumors 6502

I have this weird flashing question mark folder on startup I used my computer earlier at school, and it was working perfectly (I have a 2010 MacBook pro). I've had lion on it for a month. When I used it at school it worked perfectly. I took my notes on it, then after class, I put it to sleep. I get home, open the lid, and it came up with that error message of when you unplug a USB without hitting eject first, which was weird because nothing was plugged in at all. Then I tried to connect to my wireless. It showed up, I clicked on it, nothing happens. I go into system preferences and click on network, and it said system preferences need to restart to work, I quit and restart, same problem. Battery charger is plugged in, light on charger is on, but computer doesn't show it's charging. I restart the computer, now all I get is this weird flashing question mark folder. If someone can please try to help me solve this so I don't have to go make the trip to the apple store, that'd be great

2. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

sounds like your hard drive failed, this is the same thing that my friend went through.. his worked fine then randomly he was getting the
    indicating there is no boot device found.

[​IMG]

Sorry to break it to you, hopefully somebody else proves me wrong. You might need to do a fresh install.

Good-Luck:apple:

3. moderngamenewb thread starter macrumors 6502

If that's the case, luckily the only thing I lost then was one class worth of notes which I can copy from someone else, since school started Monday, I made sure to backup the night before school started, incase like my computer gets stolen or something.

4. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

If the apple store is too far, try a fresh install first. If that doesn't fix it you'll need to get a replacement drive. (SSD? :cool:)

5. moderngamenewb thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried to do a fresh install. I put in my snow leopard disc so I can format it from lion, but the hard drive doesn't show up under the which hard drive do I want to install it on message pops up. When I restart the computer and hold down the option key, the mouse pointer shows up, but the drive doesn't show up either, same for when I tried disc utility, the drive didn't show up either.

6. moderngamenewb thread starter macrumors 6502

I went to Genius Bar at Apple Today. The guy took a look and said it was some cable that got loose. He fixed it with Teflon tape, and now it's back to working :)

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You're lucky. If you don't already have one make a backup, because that may not be a permanent repair.

8. atlas shrugged macrumors newbie

Whew -- you did get lucky. I had the same question mark folder come up at start up. Eventually resulted in replacement of the internal hard drive, and loss of my old data.

9. Rizvi1, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    I'm dealing with this now. I used Carbon Copy Cloner to (attempt to) copy all the contents of my mid-2010 MacBook Pro's 320GB hard drive to my new 750GB one. The cloning was done by putting my MBP in Target Mode, connecting it to my Mac Mini via Firewire 800, and then connecting the new 750gb Hard drive to my Mac Mini via a USB-to-SATA device.

After the cloning, I did the hard drive swap, taking out the old 320GB Hard Drive and putting the new 750 one in. I powered up the MBP and saw the flashing folder with the question mark.

I then powered off the MBP, put it in Target Mode and connected it to my Mac Mini via Firewire 800 again - but this time with the new 750GB in there. I started Mac Mini's Disk Utility and was able to see and control the new hard drive in my MacBook Pro and saw it just said Disk1 or something. I'm guessing this means the cable isn't loose otherwise I couldn't access it right? I guess something went wrong with the cloning? I wasn't able to browse and see anything on the new 750GB hard drive via Finder.

So then I erased everything off the 750GB hard drive via Disk Utility. And finally, I connected the old 320GB removed-Hard drive I took out from my MBP and connected that to my Mac Mini via my USB-to-SATA device. I'm now trying again to clone again from the 320GB to the new 750GB drive. I hope it works.