weird question ( SSD, userhome, time machine )

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sjm300, May 19, 2011.

1. sjm300 macrumors member

I have a 2010 MBP with 120gb OCZ vertex 2 and 640gb scorpio blue in my optical bay.

I moved my user home folder to my platter drive to save on space. when trim enabler came out, I used it ( this was prior to the erase space and terminal commands ) ....over time, It killed my performance. chrome and FF where super slow, beachballing etc. long story short, I had to do a format / reinstall.

I had time machine running to back up ONLY my SSD.

Now here is my question. Am I able to run time machine and restore ONLY my applications ( not system files ) and will they find there folders on the platter drive ( User home name is the same )

thank you in advance.

2. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

I think there are too many possible variables for issues for anyone to give you a general piece of advice that will apply to every app you have installed. I think your best bet is to go ahead and try restoring one or three of the apps that have files in your user home folder. Theoretically, it should work without a hitch, but you should probably know for yourself before you find out otherwise, in a bad way.

To restore individual files, you'll need to click on the Time Machine icon in your menu bar and then Enter Time Machine.

3. sjm300 thread starter macrumors member

thats what I figured as well. I have a wide assortment of appls ( all adobe applications, toast, office, etc )

4. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Yeah, those apps that have to be installed, not just dragged and dropped, are the ones I would be concerned about.

5. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

I'm note sure why you wouldn't just use the Migration Assistant to migrate all of your apps from the TM backup.

Also, your backup plan seems to be a bit backwards. The OS and Apps can be reinstalled, however much a PITA. Personal data seems more valuable, at least to me.

6. sjm300, May 19, 2011
    Last edited: May 19, 2011

sjm300 thread starter macrumors member

trust me, I didn't plan on taking this route.

that stupid "trim enabler" messed up my system.

7. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Just fire up Migration Assistant and select the TM volume to restore from. From there you can select what things to restore, and what not to.

8. sjm300 thread starter macrumors member

wouldnt the migrate be the same as drag and drop from TM? Since my folders/files are on the platter.

9. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

This "stupid" utility, as you put it, has been used by lots of folks with great success, myself included. Clearly, one should read before implementing. The fact that it might be complicated does not absolve one from proper evaluation. If you don't understand it then you shouldn't use it.

10. sjm300 thread starter macrumors member

oh, I understand it. Computer froze during erase free space. Plus, I'm glad I removed it. It shouldn't be used with sand force controllers anyways after multiple lifehacker reports lately :)

11. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

Regardless, it's certainly a drag that you had to endure this.