Weird questions I was asked when selling my 3GS...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dsking85, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Dsking85 macrumors member

So i hammered out an agreement with a fellow from India to sell him my 3GS. When I arrived at Wendy's where he wanted to meet, I was greeted with about 5 people wanting to check out the phone. They started asking questions like when the phone was made, if i had a receipt (i don't), etc... Then one of them started asking if I could give him my user name and password for my AT&T account because he needed to get some information from my account... He said in order to unlock the phone or something, he'd need to get the info straight from the website... I got kind of pissed off, since he made no mention of any of this before I drove 20 miles to meet him. So he agreed to buy it for asking price, then said he'd email me about the info he needs.

So why do they want to see my account info so bad? I don't really think i'm obligated to do anything besides sell him the physical phone. Anything after that is not my problem. What could they possibly use my account for?

Also, I did a full restore straight from the phone's general settings menu. This completely wipes all information from the phone, right? I'm pretty sure it does, but just want to make sure since they were asking me weird things. Thanks!

2. diabolic macrumors 68000

They don't need any info from you. No reason for you to ever give anyone your account name and password. I hope you took the SIM out of it too.

3. weezite macrumors regular

Get ready to be linked to some terrorist activities.

4. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

you cant be serious asking this question...

F**K no your shouldn't give him any information like that. period.

5. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

lmao nice :cool:

6. Dsking85 thread starter macrumors member

Where did I ask if I should? I know that i'm not ****ing stupid. I was just curious why they were asking.

7. Built macrumors 68020

8. Dsking85 thread starter macrumors member

yea i have the sim. I'm just more worried that the full restore didn't wipe everything, but like i said i'm prob just worrying since they were so sketchy.

9. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

well then gtfo and don't start a pointless thread asking dumb questions? you ******ng serious? :rolleyes:

what a d bag response. obviously they are trying to scam, if you know then why make a thread?

10. Built macrumors 68020

Did they tell you why they needed 5 people to paw all over your phone as if they were selecting fine diamonds?

Just sounds very weird.

11. Dsking85 thread starter macrumors member

wow, making us e36 m3 owners look like ****ing toolbags. Thanks. I bet you have a borla exhaust and a bunch of AC Shnitzer **** on it. Looking through the front page 99% of this **** is pointless. MOVE ON! peace.

12. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

if he emails you, ignore him.

why would they need it? they could do a LOT with your account information, you'd be surprised.

13. gethyphyyo macrumors regular

It's a 3Gs, They wanted to know when it was made to see if they can Jailbreak/Unlock it.

You can't downgrade the newer 3Gs'S

14. Dsking85 thread starter macrumors member

oh well that sucks for them then. I told them it was only a month and a half old. Guess they gotta wait for a ios4 JB.

15. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

no thanks way to be an A$$ though.

16. matthewhotdude macrumors regular

haha that was my first thought

17. The Mad Kiwi macrumors 6502

When I sell stuff, usually on ebay, it's always delivery by registered post only to paypal address. Meeting people to sell stuff is just a pain in the butt, they come round or you meet them then they try to pay less for some bulls*&t reason or just waste your time by not turning up on time etc etc.

18. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Did you sell it to him locked or unlocked?

19. JayDude132 macrumors 6502

They were askin cuz they were tryin to play you. They just wanted to hack your account.

/end thread

20. Built macrumors 68020

True...by hacking his account...they could probably make back the cost of the 3GS in one afternoon.

21. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

WTF... I never go to the buyer. I make them come to a starbucks near my house, I don't care if they live 30 miles away.

When people shop at best buy do they ask the sales person to meet them half way to show them the product? :D

Glad you got your asking price but next time make them come to you. Too many times on the news do I hear about people on craigslist being robbed at gun point to meet a buyer.

22. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Excuse me... it's 2010 just what did you think they might want that info for... here is a free cue... it has nothing to do with Mother Theresa... nothing...

23. Dsking85 thread starter macrumors member

Wasn't too worried about that. It was in a crowded wendys and I had my sig sauer concealed on my hip

24. Dsking85 thread starter macrumors member

I sold it to them locked, restored with OS 3.1.3.

25. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

+1