Weird RAM behaviour.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
Ok so my RAM is behaving weirdly.

I have 1.5 GB of the stuff, and sometimes, when i've got 2-3 torrents running, or i'm scanning something in high-res (2400DPI), or I have 3 pages of safari open for a while with iTunes, the usage is through the roof. Sometimes I have as little as 13mb of RAM spare.

When I reset my disk permissions, I get it all back straight away!

Is this a harddrive writing in/out issue?

I'm trying to understand what could be the problem?

My HD is running at 5400 rpm, is this the bottleneck causing my RAM to be annihilated?

Why am I getting it all back with a disk permission repair?

sbluetruck

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
Wisconsin der hey
Ok so my RAM is behaving weirdly.

I have 1.5 GB of the stuff, and sometimes, when i've got 2-3 torrents running, or i'm scanning something in high-res (2400DPI), or I have 3 pages of safari open for a while with iTunes, the usage is through the roof. Sometimes I have as little as 13mb of RAM spare.

When I reset my disk permissions, I get it all back straight away!

Is this a harddrive writing in/out issue?

I'm trying to understand what could be the problem?

My HD is running at 5400 rpm, is this the bottleneck causing my RAM to be annihilated?

Why am I getting it all back with a disk permission repair?

well.... that's a lot of stuff running at once.....
you really think it's the RAM behaving "weird" or don't you think you're pushing your RAM limit???

my PC :eek: with 1.25 GB RAM sometimes acts up when i've got iTunes running and i'm surfing the web.

hi res= resources

it might just be that you simply don't have enough RAM to accomplish your task...

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
well.... that's a lot of stuff running at once.....
you really think it's the RAM behaving "weird" or don't you think you're pushing your RAM limit???

my PC :eek: with 1.25 GB RAM sometimes acts up when i've got iTunes running and i'm surfing the web.

hi res= resources

it might just be that you simply don't have enough RAM to accomplish your task...
Not all of those tasks are done simultaneously.

I just wanted to know why the RAM is returned to me when I verify my disk permissions.

sbluetruck

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
Wisconsin der hey
when you verify disk permissions, are you still running those programs.

i know you implied that they weren't all running at once... if they were, well, you've got one heck of a computer!!!!