Weird, random clicking Noise

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maxkim, Oct 7, 2013.

1. maxkim macrumors newbie

This isn't the clicking noise that most people seem to have a problem with- it doesn't happen when I move my mac, it doesn't come from the lefthand corner, etc.

My noise is a series of 4 quick clicks that happens randomly as I'm using my Mac. Also, this noise can only be heard while the volume is on, so it's some sort of internal problem.

Shutting off my computer doesn't work, and since that's pretty much my limit in terms of fixing tech problems, I'm at a loss. Does anyone know what this problem might be?

2. MeUnix macrumors 6502

First off, what kind of Mac computer do you have? This information can help in terms of getting information on the correct issue and/or fix. Also, where is the noise coming from?

There's a chance it is your hard-drive making the noise. It could also be from a program or application you have installed that my not being running right and closing in the background, and the beeps are its way of telling you something is wrong (I only say this because you state the noise can only be heard if the volume is up).

More information on your system and version of OS X you're running will be helpful.

- Kyle

3. maxkim thread starter macrumors newbie

it's a macbook pro with mountain lion. No programs are running, I've shut down my mac which should have ended any programs I didn't know about but it didn't help.

I either hear the noise from the speakers or, if headphones are in, from the headphones. basically from wherever I would hear any other sound from my mac.

4. MeUnix macrumors 6502

MacBook Pro year(i.e. Late '11, Early '12)? What version of Mountain Lion (i.e. 10.8.2, 10.8.3, etc)?

Programs are indeed running if your MacBook Pro is on.

Check Activity Monitor to see what's running that could be causing the beeps.
    Click on the Activity Monitor item that shows at the top of the search results (look for processes that look odd)
    At the top of the Activity Monitor window, click the drop-down to select "All Processes" instead of "My Processes"
    Click on the Process Name column heading to sort by name.
    Take screenshots and post them here. (you may have to scroll down and post multiple screenshots to get all the processes).

It is more than likely a process running on your computer that is making that beep.

- Kyle

5. maxkim thread starter macrumors newbie

I got this computer around 3 years ago, when it was the newest model as far as I know. so lets say its 3 years old

version 10.8.2 mountain lion

if I did it right, screenshots are included, with a few more in another post since I can't fit them all onto this one

Attached Files:

6. maxkim thread starter macrumors newbie

and heres some more:

Attached Files:

7. MeUnix macrumors 6502

Okay, I'll look over them in the morning.

- Kyle

8. maxkim thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for taking some time out to help me, man. I really appreciate it.

9. MeUnix, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013

MeUnix macrumors 6502

Not a problem, I hope I can help you out with this.

Start the machine in Safe mode and see if the same happens. Press and hold the Shift key as soon as you hear the chime. Safe mode disables startup and background activities.

Try out your MacBook Pro in Safe Mode and see if it makes any beeps. If the beeping stopped when in Safe Mode, that tells me it's a program or process that's running in the background.

10. maxkim thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I'll try it in safe mode, but I'd rather avoid that. another problem my mac has is if I ever turn it off or it runs out of battery, it takes about a half hour to turn back on, so I'd clearly rather try and fix this without turning my computer off, if thats possible.

11. MeUnix macrumors 6502

It doesn't turn on for a half hour? Or it takes a half hour to load and everything? The more information you release about your MacBook Pro the more I am thinking it has something to do with a damaged hard drive. Although, I do not know if your Mac would beep at you because of that.

For example, in your hard drive Box1 and Box2 are fine for data. However, Box3 and Box4 are not (using "Box1", etc as an example of space on your hard drive). This can cause a computer to work VERY slowly because of the damaged disk space on the hard drive.

Have you ran a disk check? (I'm trying to help you avoid having to restart your computer for the inconvenience).

12. maxkim thread starter macrumors newbie

I would say it takes 15 minutes to get past the white screen that comes on at the beginning, then another 15 minutes for everything else.

I haven't run a disk check or anything, how would I do that?

13. MeUnix macrumors 6502

Click the :apple: logo > About this Mac > More info > click the "Storage" tab > Disk Utility (bottom right corner)

14. maxkim thread starter macrumors newbie

15. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga