Weird reception issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by stevemiller, Sep 7, 2012.

1. stevemiller macrumors 65832

I have had my phone go to "no service" in the middle of downtown Toronto a number of times now. Recycling 3G/cellular data toggles doesn't help. Reset the phone and I'm immediately back to full bars (without any change to location).

Lately I've noticed it happens more frequently in certain spots. You'd think maybe there's a gap in service or interference in that area, but why does resetting the phone always solve it and return full bars service in the exact same spot?

2. redsoxmac macrumors newbie

This SAME thing has been happening to me recently as well - over the past week or so....

3. Coley macrumors member

I have had the same thing happen in Guelph. Sometimes it lasts 15 minutes or so then, poof, right back to full bars....sitting in the exact same spot. No clue why.

4. stevemiller thread starter macrumors 65832

Mine won't recover unless I restart (even after a few hours!) And even stranger it's now started happening to my dad, who is using my old iPhone 3G. that said, we are on Fido and Rogers (which is essentially the same network). Do service providers tend to muck around with their network settings around the time that new iPhones come out? I seem to have some sort of connectivity issue around the release date each year. I guess I'll be generous and assume that they're trying to prepare their network for new hardware, and not artificially make existing hardware feel "dated"... Hrmmm

5. brianmullanl macrumors newbie