Weird - Safari re-rendering text?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chuges, Mar 26, 2012.

1. chuges, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012

chuges macrumors member

When I visit certain websites, Safari loads up normally and then after about a second, the text on the website becomes slightly distorted/thinner. This doesn't happen for all sites (facebook, macrumors, gmail are fine), but it happens for enough random sites that I think it's a Safari rendering issue as opposed to a site-specific problem.

Example 1:
    Screen shot 2011-12-13 at 4.47.05 PM.png

Example 2:
    Screen shot 2011-12-13 at 4.46.39 PM.png

Whenever I visit yahoo for example, I'll see "Example 1" briefly before the screen changes it to "Example 2." I prefer the first image because it looks bolder and clearer, so if this is a rendering feature of Safari, I would consider turning it off for annoyance/aesthetic reasons. Both screen shots were also taken at exactly the same size - i didn't expand one to make it the same size as the other (hence changing the look of the text).

Anyone know why this is happening or have any insights?

I'm running a 2008 aluminum macbook on the latest versions of snow leopard and safari.

Thanks!

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've seen this happen on a forum where people can embed YouTube videos; pages containing videos have this "re-rendering" issue. Are there any YouTube or Flash elements on the page?

3. chuges thread starter macrumors member

Not to my knowledge, although there could've been small flash advertisements or something on the side or bottom.

I also tried going to the same sites using chrome + firefox and didn't have the same issue, so I think it's definitely a safari issue

4. chuges thread starter macrumors member

5. pogoking macrumors newbie

I have the same issue in one of my WordPress themes, it happens only on pages with embed flash videos. I remember reading an article somewhere that this issue have been fixed in newer versions of Webkit, so I hope we will see it fixed in future major Safari update.