Weird screen issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by docc, Oct 26, 2010.

1. docc macrumors 6502

Hi Guys,

I'm using a Mid-2007 C2D 2.16 macbook which about a week ago underwent fan replacement on account of...well a dead fan!

For the first time today, i noticed some kind of graphics anomaly on the screen. Take a look at the image below to see what i am referring to. It's only happened once so far and a quick reboot made it go away.

Any idea if i am looking at a graphics card that might be going belly up or could it be a botched fan replacement job causing some cables to be connected loosely or so on?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

ImageShack.us

2. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

Looks like the fan isn't properly working or the heatsink is not properly installed (thermal paste and/or not secure).
    Or maybe or graphic card is dying. Since the artifacts appear on the screen shot it's not a loose cable.
    Could also be ram. Run apple hardware test and see how it goes.

3. docc thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the quick reply.

Thermal paste was reapplied and the fan was replaced just last week. I have SMC fan control running which shows that the fan is working perfectly fine.

I guess this narrows it down to heatsink, RAM or graphics card. I'm currently doing a time machine backup just incase something drastic happens and will do a hardware test once the backup is done.

Thanks again.

4. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

So the problem either is the graphics chip or ram.
    You could swap the ram sticks if it persists most likely its the graphics chip (swap your sticks from one slot to another, no need to get another ones).
    If it's a graphics chip problem you could try those crazy DIY ways of re flowing it or just get an (expensive) new logic board.

I've tried to fix an graphics card in an household oven and it worked, it's still going strong:D

5. docc thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, now you have me scratching my head. Care to elaborate on the oven technique?!

Thanks.