weird screen lighting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gonnabuyamac, Jan 30, 2008.

1. gonnabuyamac macrumors 6502

i just got my macbook pro back (2.2 C2D 15" LED Glossy) from being repaired - new logic board (i think), and a new screen. the screen looks great, except when you have it on the lowest brightness setting or two. it gets these strange bands of light. i took a pic so you can see what i'm talking about.

Is this normal? I don't think my old screen did this. It's not a huge deal because I typically have the screen bright enough that it doesn't happen.

[​IMG]

2. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

I have the same MacBook Pro as you, also glossy, which arrived a day ago.

It doesn't seem to have the banding like yours does (I just tried it on all brightness settings), although when you move around, there are similar bands sort of behind the screen that follow you round...

My backlight is also a bit lighter round the bottom and top, meaning solid black etc. has white shades at the bottom and top.

Also, the screen fades slightly from top to bottom, ie. a webpage is crisp white at the top, then gets slightly grey towards the bottom. But, moving the screen position and/or viewing angle reverses this, so I guess it's just the viewing angle of LCD screens?

Are my issues normal?

3. gonnabuyamac thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, the viewing angle makes a big difference. a lot of these computers have a yellowish tint when viewed from an angle - so if you're seeing grey, it may be the same thing happening. i don't know if that's necessarily something wrong with the screen, just the way they are - though if it's excessive it could be a problem.

4. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

It's not really excessive...

But, if you imagine iTunes open in Library mode - there are grey/white stripes in the background - well, they start off grey at the top, then they fade down to a lighter grey, sort of starting to go a little bit negative, if you know what I mean? My old PB G3 had this, as well as my iPhone, so I think it's just the way things are....Perhaps with us having laptop screens at more of an angle than desktop screens too, this accentuates the problem?

What about my slightly uneven backlight at the top/bottom - normal too?

Hope you get yours sorted - I definitely have the "bands" when I move while looking at the screen, as they move with me, but certainly not as visible as yours. They're basically not a problem on mine, just if you're really looking for them.