Weird screen on startup

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by amstrad, Nov 15, 2010.

1. amstrad, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010

amstrad macrumors member

Hello

Today i had this weird screen on boot :

[​IMG]

I tried rebooting the macbook several times. It didn't help.

I can boot it on safe mode (Pressing Shift during startup) and everything works fine.
    When i make it boot from the OSX Install dvd, it works as well.

Any idea on how to fix this ?

Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

[​IMG]

looks like [img]http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/5338/pastebot.jpg[/img]. The "t" in "IMG" is for thumbnail, to make a smaller, but clickable version of your image. The code you used was for HTML, thus applicable for vBulletin boards.

Do you still have warranty? Maybe the GPU is shot. Can you do a Clean Install of Snow Leopard or Erase and Install of Leopard?
    And what exact MB model do you have?

3. amstrad thread starter macrumors member

Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

No warranty i bought it second hand.

Yes i guess i can do a clean re-install of the system but i hope i can just fix it as it is. instead of having to do a full data backup, formatting, re-install, update etc..

4. amstrad thread starter macrumors member

I thought so as well..
    but how to explain the fact that everything looks fine in safe mode and while booting from the mac OsX DVD ?

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

You can try reinstalling the OS. It may be that your video driver is corrupt. Safe mode boots with generic video drivers that may not be activating circuits in your card. Certainly worth a try to reinstall.

6. SLockster macrumors newbie

Try this

I have had the same problem. I researched it and then put the OX installation disk in and held the D key down on start up to do a Hardware test. Hold it down till the blue screen appears and do a full test takes about an hour. My macbook came up with an error code and when I put this error code in Google this link came up:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

It makes sense, this is my laptop, built/ bought at that time, with that fault. It might be the same thing for you? Hope that helps.