Weird Security Recommendation by iOS?!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Luba, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

I went into Settings > WiFi and tapped on Security Recommendation: "Using a hidden network can expose personally identifiable information."

How can a hidden network expose personally identifiable information that a unhidden network would protect??

2. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Because if your device is trying to connect to a hidden network your device will be broadcasting information out everywhere you go trying to connect to that network. Since it's hidden your device has to broadcast out to it rather than receive the broadcast from the network itself when in range.

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

4. Luba thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luba

If I simply unhide that hidden network, then I'm good? Should I change the name of the hidden network which will be unhidden? Do I need to restart my devices? Thanks in advance!

5. timeconsumer, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016

timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

You should be able to just unhide the network. After you do that, you'll probably want to forget the network on your devices then re-connect.

However, I would recommend reading this article if you haven't: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202068

This article shows Apple's recommendations and overall good practices with wifi networks. As far as naming goes, they recommend the following: