Weird Shadowing on 27" 2013 imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GingerPunk2, Apr 23, 2015.

1. GingerPunk2 macrumors newbie

Hey all,
    Apologies if this has been covered or fixed, if so please post a link. I couldn't find specifics to my issue.

Bought the 27 imac late 2013, been running like a dream ever since. Until today.

Working away as normal, then when I went to shutdown I noticed a screen imprint (shadow) of my email window on the desktop.

I took some screenshots and the shadowing doesn't show on them and they stay in the same place when moving an image over it.

Now this happened in the last 30 minutes of my day, as I was sending end of day emails. Most of the day I was in pro tools so length of time for burn etc seems unlikely.

Not at any point was the computer knocked or jolted etc.

I am panicking a bit as it is my main workstation and I'm kind of sh*tting myself over the Internet reading that I could be facing a £500+ fix for a new screen. Not to mention a few days without my money making device.

Does anyone know if this is a common occurrence? Have any of you experienced this? Anyone have any advice as to a fix or am I correct in thinking it is hardware and I'm gonna be less than broke soon?

Google searches resulted in yellow screen issues and dust does etc. But no real answers on a screen burn/shadowing that I have.

I can almost read the bloody email it is that clear, out of nowhere.

Thanks all

2. accentaudio, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015

accentaudio macrumors 6502

accentaudio

3. GingerPunk2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you good sir. No Ide why that didn't show up on my searches. Damn tapatalk app.

Thanks again.

4. accentaudio macrumors 6502

accentaudio

You are welcome. Sorry that you are having this issue as well.

5. GingerPunk2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'm livid with Apple right now. But I can't afford to make a switch to a mac pro. Which leaves me with the bitterest of tastes in my mouth.

I'm not a fan boy of Apple, far from it. But I always sang their praises for desktops. I was hoping for at least 5 years use before I had to upgrade.

Anyway, ranting on now. Cheers again.

6. Seramir macrumors member

Seramir

My image retention only happens under Windows, oddly. No image retention issues so far under OS X. It's a minor issue, especially if it happens only under the lesser OS I use, but I still felt icky about it considering I paid almost $3k for mine. It's a late 2013 27" iMac as well.

7. /V\acpower macrumors 6502a

I am not from the UK, but since you used "£", I assume that you are.

My first advice is to know your rights. This link will help you :

http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

They are obligated by law to cover your product for more than a year. You have to deal with the "seller". If you bought it from Apple directly (in store or online), it will probably make things simpler, if not, well it depend of the store.

However, they may be a bit less "cooperative" if you are out of warranty (from Apple, not legally). Always stay polite, but be clear that this is a defect that is not within specs, and also that this is a defect that is causing problems the usage you can expect to make from such a product. For example, even if you don't to a lot of image editing, it is still something you expect you can do on this machine, and since they advertise the display as being "color calibrated" and being a machine where you can do professionnal editing on it, it shouldn't have such image retention issue. (If you bought a stove and one of the plate doesn't work, it doesn't matter if you never use all the plates at the same time, it should be repaired)

Basically, if you have to argue, make sure to explain that the problem is not purely cosmetic and that it is functional and that the product doesn't work as advertised in their store.

8. GingerPunk2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I will be on the phone to Apple asap. Although I read that the class action suit that was filed against apple for this exact flaw was dismissed.

And even if they replace it, I'll probably be here again with the same issue. As they class this as normal and it their technology and cheap screens that are causing the problem.

Unless they have changed the screens or tech? Does anyone know if they have addressed this or is it just a case of pot luck?

I should probably feel lucky that my unit has only just started manifesting this problem after a year and a bit. Whereas some of you people have been reporting it almost straight out of the box.

I will phone them and see what they say. If I get any news that is of assistance I will post it here.

I thank you all for your time and comments.

9. GingerPunk2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay all,

Just got off of the phone with Apple. After explaining the problem, I was directed to an apple store (as usual). I then asked what can be done and explained the consistent issues these units are having, I mentioned the screens and tech that seem to cause these issues and asked if anything has changed, i.e new screens etc. She couldn't answer that one. I have been directed to the store to gain a hardware report of the fault.

Now this may be a saving grace for us in the UK. She said that if the report comes back as a hardware issue, then any customer that has bought any apple device directly from Apple can file a "consumer complaint suit" directly with them. I believe this is down to trading standards and devices being for purpose with reasonable life.

So after I have taken it in to the shop and got the report I can follow this up.

This could mean a free of charge fix or maybe even a replacement with a newer model, I don't know yet.

However if this issue is apparent with all imac then I am seriously considering pushing to get a refund, if that's even possible. And heading to a mac pro. But I highly doubt they'll allow that.

Does anyone know if it just the 2012/2013 models that show this issue or is it all imac now. Even the retina displays?

----------

Sorry it's called a consumer law claim here is a link

http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

10. /V\acpower macrumors 6502a

I have a late 2013 27' iMac (bought when it came out).

Mine doesn't have any image retention issue. (I know what it is and I know I notice these things)

Keep in mind that every defect that affect a small % of users, if you start googling it, will always feel like so much bigger than it is actually.

I mean, judging from forum like Macrumors, it seems that almost every Apple product that exist have deep hardware flaws. There is always some guy that will tell his own nightmare story explaining how he returned 5 MacBook Pro already and that they all have the same defects, etc.

11. GingerPunk2 thread starter macrumors newbie

If I had been on this forum 2 days ago, I would have also said that my imac didn't have this issue. But it now appears it does. Your imac is newer than mine and may at some point manifest this error. However I hope that you do not experience this.

I agree that forums can lead you to think it's the end of the world. But for me an issue like this is almost close to it.

Anyway I will follow instruction from Apple. And see where it goes.

I will update the post as and when. I sincerely hope that a screen replace will fix it. But who knows.

12. /V\acpower macrumors 6502a

How can your iMac be older than mine, we have the same exact model (late 2013) and I ordered it the day it came out.

And before that I had a mid 2010 27' iMac for 3 years and never had any ghosting issue either.

My mother have one also, one of my friend too. Never had ghosting problems that I know of (and they come for me when there is a problem).

Just saying.

13. GingerPunk2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry probably didn't specify, my mac is 2012 model that was bought in 2013.