Weird shadows on bottom of MBP screen - any ideas?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ascender, Jun 6, 2008.

1. ascender macrumors 68000

Sitting here browsing the web on a new MBP and I've got some very strange shadows coming up from the bottom of the screen.

There's 8 dark grey shadows coming up from the bottom of the screen, dark grey in colour, a couple of inches tall and quarter of an inch wide at equal intervals across the screen. They almost look like smudged pencil marks.

Have I got a faulty screen or is this some sort of "feature" on the laptop?

2. JWest macrumors 6502

This is a defect my friend. It's the result of half of the backlighting shutting off. If it's permanent, take the computer in to have the screen replaced. In my case, it happened once, I rebooted, and it was fixed and hasn't happened since.

3. PDE macrumors 68020

The Soho Apple Store told me it is a software problem that has no permanent solution right now. If you're within the 14 day return period, get it exchanged and hope that the next one is alright, otherwise it doesn't seem Apple is prepared to do anything yet - at least that's what I was told by several Apple geniuses, including a manager.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That what they always say when they can't fix it.

5. PDE macrumors 68020

That or, even better: "I understand what you're saying, but XXX is within Apple specifications."

I actually have a little hope that this issue might be fixed with a firmware update though...but I wouldn't bet on it so I returned my MBP to amazon for a replacement. The replacement is thus far fine, except for some shadowing on the lower left side and bad light bleed when watching DVDs. I've given up dreaming that I'll get a perfect display and will just settle for this for now...

6. ascender thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the advice. It looks OK this morning, but i'll keep an eye on it.

7. chapel321 macrumors member

It happened to me once, I called Apple and they had me reset the pram. It hasn't happened since and I've had mine since the end of Feb.

8. ascender thread starter macrumors 68000

Its since happened a few times and resetting the pram hasn't helped, so its off back to John Lewis with it for a replacement or maybe even just a Macbook.

9. paulmoscow macrumors member

10. qrackocain macrumors newbie

I FOUND A WAY TO REPLICATE THIS PROBLEM 100% OF THE TIMES!!!

1. Open photo booth
    2. Set your screen to a medium brightness
    3. Press the little camera icon to take a photo
    4. The program will count down from 3 and then snap a photo. Right when the little photo icon turns white turn up the brightness on your display. If you time it right, you will the get the verticle shadow stripes.

11. joecool99 Suspended

joecool99

put display to sleep for few seconds

please post image. i has something similar. when i put the display to sleep and then woke it up, it disappeared.

12. tammymichelle macrumors newbie

I keep getting this

I need help as i cannot use the laptop like this please help :/

Attached Files:

13. RMXO macrumors 6502a

14. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

That's a different issue. looks like a bad LCD panel, bad LVDS cable, or bad GPU (if it works on an external you can usually rule out the GPU). Take it in and have it looked over by apple.