Weird sleep issue with a SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by comics addict, Jul 5, 2013.

1. comics addict macrumors 6502a

Last month I installed a OWC 240GB Mercury Electra 6G SSD on my 13 inch 2012 MBP and have been using it ever since as my primary boot drive. But in the last week or so I have started noticing that when I have my laptop in sleep mode with the lid closed and running off battery power, when its been in such state for over two hours, whenever I open the lid I see the lock screen but the Mac emit the sound they make when you boot up when its been off and the lock screen seems stock in motion until it seems to connect the drive again.

At first I thought it was because I had reset the energy preferences to its default settings that enabled the "put hard disk to sleep whenever possible" when before hand I didn't had it enabled due to talks from the drive's manufacturer that said option is unnecessary with a SSD. So I disabled it again but it seems to not have mitigated said behavior and went ahead and reset both the SMC & NVRAM to no avail. As a last ditch effort for a explanation I thought that it might have been a energy saver setting on the firmware of the drive and so I called and spoke with Apple & OWC but neither could give me a reason as to the possible causes of this issue if any. Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions for me to try out ? Thanks for your time.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Sounds like it may be going into hibernation mode due to the battery getting too low while in sleep mode.

3. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's odd because my battery is like new and I know that the it can last for hours on end while in sleep mode. I almost always used it plug in to conserve battery power when I have to go mobile or the lights go out and I am in the middle of something on the computer. Always unplug it when I went out to let the battery run for it's health. Also this problem never manifested itself while using for three months the stock HDD.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Have you made any system changes recently or has this issue coincided with any major software updates?

5. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not really as far as I have noticed. When was it that 10.8.4 came out?

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

On June 4th.

7. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, that came out before I even migrated my data to the SSD. highly doubtful that might be the origin of this problem. Would you recommend that I do a clean install of the OS on the drive and migrate my user account & files via migration assistant ? It seems to be the last ditch effort that I can think of... :(

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Before you go that far, I'd say just create a new user account and use that for a short time, like a day or so and see if the problem persistes that way. If it doesn't, then there may be something wrong with your primary user account.

9. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok good advice I'll try that tomorrow. I'll keep you posted and thanks for your time.

10. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I tried your advice and can confirm that it behaves the same way while under battery power no matter which user account is in session before I put it to sleep. Any other suggestions ?

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Since you're using an OWC SSD, you don't need TRIM enabled by a third-party, however, you may want to try Chameleon SSD Optimizer and just use the other options besides TRIM. Perhaps the sleep settings need adjusted and this can help with that.

12. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

On the older MBPs (such as my 2007 MBP), the boot drive needs to be in the hard drive bay rather than the superdrive bay in order for the machine to sleep. I don't know if this applies to more recent models. Do you have the SSD in the hard drive bay or in the superdrive bay?

13. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, I am only using my storage unit within the hard drive bay. And Sandbox General I'll look into your recommendation and see how it goes. Thanks again for your time the both of you.