Weird sound coming from display? I think

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JamesGorman, Feb 21, 2009.

1. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

when i use expose or open dashboard or any other screen for that matter that opens up, i always get a high pitched "grinding" noise coming from my display. It wasnt there before and all of a sudden it starts doing this? im very confused about this as i have no idea what it could be

2. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

i just noticed it now makes the sound when i scroll in any open window.:(

3. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

4. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

its noticable in a quiet room, but even with my younger brothers yelling in the next room i could still hear it.

5. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

anyone? i hate to keep asking but its really worrying me:( this really suuuucks...

6. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

My obvious advice is to call AppleCare or go to a store. I'm sure they've run into something similar before so they'll know what to do.
    good luck!

7. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I called apple and they said they had no idea what it could be:( looks like ill jut have to take it in.

8. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

YEAH, get them to take it in a quiet room and go with them to make sure they won't just blow you off. Good luck! Keep us posted..

9. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

heres the thing, ill have to take it to an authorized service provider because there is no apple stores anywhere near where i am, the closet one i believe is about a 2.5 hour flight away. And since there are no "geniuses" at thee authorized service providers i guess ill just have to grab one of the tech guys.

btw i just finished a clean install of leopard and the noise seems to have stopped..i doubt this was only software related, but ill pray it was. If need be ill take it in and let you all know what the deal is.

10. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

It's a CPU whine, as I like to call it. Some say that it's the GPU crossing with the sound card to produce an audible whine, however. If it's a high pitch noise, I assure you, everything is alright. The fact that you get it when scrolling further is fine as well, though I get it when I'm not scrolling (it just goes away during the scroll). Anyways, if you have an iPhone, hold it to your ear in a quiet room while it's playing a muted movie - you'll hear it. This issue exists on most laptops, to my understanding.

Grinding though? I'm not sure how you're personifying it. It might not be the same noise that I have experienced, but I doubt that anything can be done. Take it in to a reseller just to be sure.

11. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

i notice it to. Its most noticable to me when i open and close a stack.

i have a the unibody macbook pro.

not a huge deal, but slightly irritating.

12. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

it is more of a whine now that i think of it, so everything is normal than? I just noticed it and i thought it was some huge problem..im relived to know that its not as big as i thought. for anyone else out there, can you try listening to see if your also does this please? just to see if it really is that common?
    Thanks,
    James Gorman

13. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

My PowerBook's Airport card whines during transmits and my RAM whines too but I just turn the fans up to drown it out

14. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I dont think that either of those is what my machine is doing, and i dont really wanna have to turn the fans up to drown something out that shouldn't be there you know? I hope this is a normal thing tho, id hate to have to send my MB in and be without it for some time again. Although this would be my second repair, and on the third id get a whole new one guarnteed:) (because of my service plan from bestbuy, i didnt buy apple care because the service plan covers more)

15. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

If I am understanding the noise that you are describing, then yes, everything should be fine.;)

16. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

thank god lol, i was getting really worried. Ive also noticed that it dosent do it all the time either, sometimes when i open dashboard it will do it, other times it wont. So maybe it is just the stress on the cpu...I feel lucky lol:)

17. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

lol well i gotta bring this thread back to life. After starting this thread my macbook seemed to have stopped making the noise. Then today when i download "check up for mac" it started doing the noise all over again but this time a bit louder. The thing is it does it when i switch tabs in the check up for mac program. (when switching tabs the program has kind of a 3D cube effect< and thats when i can really hear the "whine" starting to think that this may be a GPU problem. but Im not sure. Either way, ill probably be taking it in to My authorized service provider as soon as i have some free time.