Weird sound from Late 2011 MacBook Pro!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by miniConvert, Dec 2, 2011.

1. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Hopefully someone knows what this is...

I'm hearing a very peculiar sound from my new MacBook Pro. It sounds a little like a lightbulb blowing; like the filament pinging off and hitting the side of the glass. It happens infrequently while I'm using the laptop, but a little more if I pick it up and move it around. I think it's coming from the left hand side more than the right, and from the base rather than the screen.

It's a little disconcerting... the laptop is incredible, loving it, so I don't want to take it in and have some stranger poke around inside. My old MBP was never the same once it started having repairs. But it cost me a small fortune and I'd feel a lot better if I knew what this sound was.

2.5GHz/8GB RAM/SSD

2. miniConvert thread starter macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Why would that be happening if I've got the Apple SSD? It also happens while it's stationary, so I don't think there's a lot of sudden motion going on.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not only am I old and slow, I don't read so well anymore! LOL! I didn't notice the SSD reference. You're absolutely right. There should be no sound at all from your SSD. Check to see what alerts you might have that could produce that sound.

4. BrumGB macrumors newbie

BrumGB

5. miniConvert thread starter macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Ah excellent, so glad someone has opened theirs up to investigate! I might get a screwdriver that'll fit and then do the same, actually - if it's just something like that then I'll live with it, but I'd feel better knowing exactly what it is rather than worrying something might have come loose.

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

Wife had same problem - called Apple and they replaced it in store for free with a new one :)

7. miniConvert thread starter macrumors 68040

miniConvert

So strange. It can't happen on all of them as I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't notice it, so perhaps the springs on mine are a bit knackered?

Thanks again for the replies, I'm sure this is what it is now. I'll get that screwdriver and take a look, and if necessary remove it as recommended in that guide.

Ah I love this place - no question is too bizarre! :D

8. miniConvert thread starter macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Just a little update - the noise has all-but-stopped by itself. Had a feeling it would as the laptop got used. I rarely hear it now.

My advice to anyone getting this issue on a new machine is simply to give it a couple of months to wear in before attacking with the screwdriver.