Weird sound from LED illumination

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by batollo, Nov 19, 2008.

1. batollo macrumors newbie

Hey, I have to tell you something:

10 Minutes ago I watched a video online and the LED illumination was about 40%. My room was dark and I tried to find something on my table, so I turned the illumination by holding the button F2 to maximum. After two seconds there was a weird sound, like a fan starts to spinning. The sound was becoming higher and I was afraid that something will get damaged, so I turned the light to the lower level and I could adjust the sound with the level of illumination.

I hope you guys understand my desription! I can't reproduce the error, so some of you will say everything is good, but I am really afraid that my macbook has to say hello to a screwdriver!

2. ChazDaSpaz macrumors regular

If it sounded like fans, then it probably was the fans kicking in, don't worry, it was just getting a bit warm that's all. Computers can get really warm but it shouldn't do any harm if it's only once in a while.

3. batollo thread starter macrumors newbie

It was not the nomal fan, the sound was completely different.

The height of the sound changed with the level of illumination, so it was like I could control the sound. Maybe it was some electronical sound, the sound was too soft for a fan.

4. kasakka macrumors 68000

Does it go away if you turn the brightness all the way up? Because I've seen lots of monitors that buzz if the brightness is below 100%.

5. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Mine did this only 1 time and i dont remember if it was the brightness of the screen or the keyboard but i was also able to control the pitch of the noise.
    It hasnt happened since, it was a one time thing.

6. batollo thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting. Since we are two now this seems to be a teething problem.

@Kasakka: It appeared when the brightness was at 100%.

7. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I had the same issue the day after I got the MB. It hasn't happened since. It got loud randomly when I had the brightness just under max. I turned it down and the pitch went down and then disappeared around 50%. If I turned it back up the sound returned and increased in pitch.

Also, if you listened closely it was coming from underneath the left side of the keyboard. I have seen some threads about this on the Apple Discussion boards and searching on google.