Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
i reinstalled snow leopard and i went to pick my mbp off my desk with the screen open .. and when i picked up pretty quick i heard this sound coming from the left side of the keyboard .. it was really weird .. and i can recreate it everytime if i lift it fast with the screen open .. if i do it slowly no sound

i tried this on my mother's 15 mbp and no sound at all .. anyone else get this on a 17inch mbp ???

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
Are you doing it when it's on?

It's probably your hard drive scraping every time you pick it up faster than the new tilt sensor can intervene.

Didn't anyone at the Apple store tell you not to whip your MBP around when it's open and on or HD damage could result?

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
Sorry, didn't mean to come down on you like that, since it's not something some users would even think about with a Mac.

I'm just surprised they didn't mention not to do it! Bad Apple sales staff!

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah, you shouldn't carry it while the HD is spinning. To be safe sleep it, or if you want to carry it around with the HD spinning move it slowly with no sudden movements :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.