Weird sound playing randomly, can anyone please help me?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by harryfromglos, Feb 17, 2014.

1. harryfromglos macrumors newbie

So on Thursday 13th I put down the lid of my mid 2011 Macbook Air with OS X 10.7.5 and went to go for an appointment. When I came back about 45 minutes to an hour later and opened it up again a mysterious 'click' sound effect started playing at random intervals in Google Chrome. Anyone else having this? I hadn't downloaded or updated anything either in Chrome or my notebook between going out and coming back in again. I can't for the life of me imagine where it might have suddenly come from or what it might mean, nor do I know if it's a Chrome or Mac sound - might it be a sound on Chrome that came without warning with the latest automatic update or a Mac sound that I accidentally turned on? It surely can't be the latter because I recently disabled all the alert and user interface sounds (and the volume feedback 'pop') because I didn't want them anymore, so I'm pretty baffled. I searched my machine for .aif, .aiff, .wav, .mp3 etc files that sound like the 'click' and couldn't find anything. I haven't been listening to anything on my notebook since Thursday because you never know when the 'click' will play and I find it quite annoying.

FWIW (it may not be but you never know), in Chrome the only extension I have is Adblock Plus 1.7.4, and my plugins are:

RealPlayer
    QuickTime 7.7.1
    Widevine Content Decryption Module 1.4.1.377
    Chrome PDF Viewer
    Adobe Flash 12.0.0.44
    Native Client (box unticked, I think that's by default)
    Java 14.9.0
    Flip4Mac 3.1.0.1
    Chrome Remote Desktop Viewer (box unticked, again I think by default)

I also use the Spotify Web Player.

Any help much appreciated - thank you!

2. Shift Option K macrumors regular

Shift Option K

Can we somehow hear the sound in a video or recording or something?

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Since this behavior is random, does it also happen in other applications like the Finder, Safari, Pages etc?

If it doesn't try trashing Chrome and downloading a fresh copy of the latest version.