Weird sound problem with Garageband?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Justin122, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Justin122 macrumors 6502

Hello everyone,

I've recently laid some stuff down in Garageband for a song that I'm doing. Things were going smoothly, until a weird bug occurred where it kind of delays everything that is being played through Garageband. Take a look at the YouTube video and let me know what you think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_gGVsoIlgU

2. Justin122 thread starter macrumors 6502

Can't anyone help? I really need to get on with the song, but this is holding me back from continuing.

3. Leddy macrumors regular

Hi Justin122,

Have you saved the project and re-started the computer? Is the problem still there?

Are you using any kind of audio interface to get your sounds into the computer?

Cheers.

4. Justin122 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I have restarted the computer and the problem is still there. I'm not using any audio interfaces, the only customisation settings I've used are echo and reverb.

5. Leddy macrumors regular

Hi Justin,

If you record a new track do you get the same effect happening on it? Are you recording the track clean or with effects? Are the Master effects off?

Cheers.

6. jackerin macrumors 6502a

My guess is that it's the "follow tempo and pitch" setting. IIRC when this is on it will "correct" the recorded audio to fit to the set tempo and scale of the track as defined in the master track. For example if you have a track set up in C and 120bpm, it will try to change the recorded audio to match that scale; the audio is also marked as recorded with that tempo, so if you unmark it on a track it could slide out of tempo.

Try unmarking it on all tracks before recording, then lay down a couple of tracks and see if it fixes it.

7. Justin122 thread starter macrumors 6502

I turned off the "follow tempo and pitch" setting and the problem has been rectified, but now the entire song is out of time. Will I just have to face it and re-adjust the whole song or is there something I can do?

8. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Most likely, yes. If the problem is only that they start at different times then you can easily move them about in the timeline, but if they are recorded at different tempos then it's almost more work to start fixing it than to re-record it properly. (Though if you really don't want to re-record you could always get the new iLife and try out the new groove doctor thing.)

In the future, before recording, make sure you choose the correct tempo and scale for the project.