Weird sound when opening lid on mbp 2016

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shootertwist14, Jun 19, 2017.

1. shootertwist14 macrumors member

hi guys, i have a mbp late 2016 non-touchbar version and i've noticed a sort of click when opening the mbp and the sound is more noticeable when the lid has been closed for a long time. I've read a similar thing about this so it's good to know mine is not an isolated case (sort of), my concern though is should i take it to an apple store and have them take a look at it? I've read some people who had it and took it back to apple got a machine with the same issue.
    Some even had the click/pop when the machine is heating up but still got no solution from apple. I guess what i want to ask here is that since i am fine with the "click" sound since it only happens when opening it and it seems sort of normal now hehe, is it a logical thing to just live with it since there is no solution as of yet? Will it cause problems down the road? The mbp is two months old and i love everything about it, i actually browsed for the click sound to find out if normal or not and found out many experience the same... anybody who experienced it and just let it pass? Is knowing that i have 10mos more on my apple warranty be a good enough assurance? Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the issue :)

2. Nave29 macrumors member

Exact same issue on 2017 MBP... I would take it in to the Apple Store, it should be covered. I would take mine in if I wasn't going to return it on Wednesday anyways after my custom-order arrives (used the 2017 for a few days, decided I needed 16 GB RAM).

3. glhughes macrumors regular

I have the same problem (2016 nTB) when opening or closing the lid on mine. It is a faint tick / click that you can really only hear in a quiet room. But then it's always quiet at home. It also makes the noise when I move the machine around a bit sometimes. It's likely the hinge or something inside moving around a bit. I don't think it's anything to worry about but it is annoying.

FWIW, this is the second top case on mine (had the first replace due to a stuck spacebar) and the noise did not occur with the original top case. So it is possible to get a machine that doesn't make that noise but perhaps not likely.

4. shootertwist14 thread starter macrumors member

^so in your case sir you just deal with it for now? Mine is exactly as you described, its actually very subtle click, and if its sort of normal i'm fine with it, i had a couple of friends listen to it and they thought it was normal, but i told them my previous mbp, a late 2013, didnt have it... the 2016 mbp is working fine so far except for that, even the keys are fine that's why i'm hesitant of bringing it to apple for repair especially since it seems to be a minor thing (assuming it does not get worse or damage anything there with the constant open/closing of the lid)
    Thanks guys for your replies :)

5. ab298 macrumors member

Whilst it's no major problem (to judge from your description) it does sound annoying. Mine doesn't do it (Jan 2016 13" nTB) and Apple will likely sort it out w/o much persuasion.

6. glhughes macrumors regular

It's annoying, but if it was the only thing wrong with the machine I would probably just live with it. However, my keyboard is not right on this machine (the space bar locked up AGAIN last week) so I might end up with another top case replacement when I go to the Genius Bar on Thursday. Sigh. We'll see.

7. aevan macrumors 68030

aevan

My MBP 2016 makes a faint sound when opening the lid after a while. It feels like it gets just a little stuck after being closed a while, it's hard to describe. It is barely noticeable and happens only the first time after it's been closed for the night. When it comes to these little 'issues' - this one is REALLY minor. My 2013 MBP (I still have it, my gf uses it) makes a creaking sound when I lift it off the table, for example as the metal flexes. My iPad Home button is a little flimsy sometimes. My previous iPhone had a mushy power button.

These are very minor annoyances. Chasing the absolute perfect device is a waste of time, in my opinion, especially since you never know what kind of cosmetic issues may arise after months and years of use. I don't know if your lid opens like mine (maybe yours is more pronounced) - but if it's the same, I wouldn't even think about it, let alone take it for repair.