Weird sounds

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by UndertheRadar, Jun 5, 2007.

1. UndertheRadar macrumors member

So whenever I wake my Mac Pro from sleep, the hard drive seems to make a clicking sound. Has anyone else experienced this? When it shuts down it seems to make a similar but not as loud click. Oh and also my dvd drive is super noisy, even more than my Macbook. Again. Has anyone else out there experienced this?:(

2. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Whenever I turn my Mac Pro on or off (or sleep/wake up), the 5 hard drives all make a single click noise (I'm not sure if it's the actual hard drive clicking though) before spinning up or down.

The DVD drive that came with my Mac Pro is also very noisy.

3. UndertheRadar thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Dragoon. I think i'll place a call to apple but probably not until tomorrow. Is there anyone else out there that has an answer to the sound or having a similar problem?

4. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Just me again. I made a quick recording of my Mac Pro shutting down (when sleeping and waking up all the hard drives click at the same time, compared to shutting down, when they click one at a time.).
    Of course I'm assuming that my Mac's working properly.

Recording

I used an old PDA to record it so the qualities not the best.

5. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Lol if my computer made that noise I would keep it xD Sounds cool like a spaceship powering down :p

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I think thats just the HDs parking the heads. But i could be wrong.

7. UndertheRadar thread starter macrumors member

Are you guys ready for this? I spoke to applecare yesterday and here's the scoop. The sound can actually be an indication that the hard drive is about to fail. The guy on the phone was very adamant about me taking my mac pro to the apple store to have checked out. He warned that i could potentially lose all my data and recommended I back up my stuff.
    As for the DVD drive acting funny, he had me refresh the pram and now it works fine.
    sucks huh? :mad: