Weird Speaker Problem with MacBook Pro...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wm6405, Sep 11, 2009.

1. wm6405 macrumors member

Just a little while ago, I was on Garageband making a ringtone with my speakers maybe 1-2 notches below half way, and all of the sudden I heard a sort of POP noise and then the speakers stopped working. I went to itunes and started playing a song and right when the music should have started playing, I heard another POP, and when I paused it there was another popping noise. I have no idea what this is? I couldn't have blown the speakers because it wasn't even turned up half way...Any help, guys?

2. DooDaaDame macrumors member

DooDaaDame

I also had this weird popping noise while working with garageband, imovie, itunes and screenflow at the same time working on a project. The sound would cut out after the static pop and I'd have to restart to regain sound. I googled the problem and found a few others with the same problem, but no answer. Since I had nothing else to do, I updated garageband, quicktime, and just about everything else that came up in my apple update window that was remotely involved with these softwares, including itunes. The problem has not re-occurred since then. Give this a try.

3. wm6405 thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks for the reply...Yeah, I just restarted my computer shortly after and it back to normal, but it did give me a bit of a scare for a bit. I couldn't think of anything I had done to damage the speakers...I'll try updating to see if that keeps it from happening again

Thanks again!

4. vapormike macrumors newbie

I have this popping noise problem from my macbook pro too. It occurs during random intervals while i use itunes or the dvd player. I have the late 2008 version of the macbook pro 15". I've called apple and they told me to reset the smc, it didnt fix the problem. Any thoughts?

5. waffles123 macrumors regular

My Mac has also just started to do this. I restarted it and it was fine, then a day later the same thing happened. This has happened three times now, and all when I have clicked the play button on youtube. Is this Snow Leopard related? Because this never happened on Leopard, and shouldn't be hardware because it is fixed on a restart :(

6. Fuchal macrumors 68020

If you're on battery power it's probably the amp turning off or on to conserve power.

7. waffles123 macrumors regular

I'm not on battery power. After the first pop, any sound coming through creates a popping sound from the speakers.