Weird Spotlight Indexing Freakout?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by komseban, Mar 21, 2011.

1. komseban macrumors member

I noticed my 2010 13" stock was overheating like mad for no reason even when it was just light use like internet surfing. So I checked out activity monitor and found some process called mdworker was consistently using 40-97% CPU. After some research I found out it was indexing for spotlight but that didn't make sense since I've had this laptop for almost 4 months now without this problem until like two weeks before. Needless to say, I don't even use spotlight; I use Alfred. But, turning off indexing saved my heat issue.

My main question is, has anyone else had this freak issue with mdworker using so much CPU randomly with no reason? I mean, I haven't added any new files or any large file transfers. Any explanations?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

All you have to do is add any drives you don't want indexed to the Privacy tab in Spotlight preferences. Or simply let it reindex completely and it shouldn't do it again.

3. bareskillz macrumors newbie

I had this issue last week. I turned off spotlight (by excluding my whole home drive) and the CPU usage returned to normal.

After a few days I re-enabled it, and after reindexing for hours it has been fine since.

4. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Really you just just let it do its thing--it will stop indexing eventually. There is not necessarily a obvious reason why OS-X decides it needs to index a drive again--could even be a bad database. If you try to stop it, it will just try again unless you turn indexing off but there is no reason to do that unless the indexing really bugs you that much.

5. komseban thread starter macrumors member

Well, I don't even use spotlight. I use Alfred for everything.
    I was just curious as to why it freaked out so badly.
    I guess I'll let it index overnight tonight.
    But, good to know it doesn't just happen to me.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Do you ever use Finder? Open or close dialog boxes? If so, you use Spotlight, since that's the engine behind Finder.

7. komseban thread starter macrumors member

^This I did not know.
    8D;; I learn something new every day.
    I better let it index overnight then. LOL

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

http://www.apple.com/macosx/what-is-macosx/spotlight.html

9. X2468 macrumors regular

Why did indexing cause it to run hot ?

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Indexing is a CPU-intensive process. The harder your CPU or GPU work, the more heat they create. It's quite normal.

11. X2468 macrumors regular

12. Jottle macrumors 6502

OP. Do you have a boot camp partition? make sure you remove it from your spotlight indexing. Or else when you do a spotlight search, for some reason spotlight continues to index no matter what you do.

13. komseban thread starter macrumors member

I don't use bootcamp!
    :D
    I don't even know how to partition.
    It's probably under Disk Utility. But I mean, my parents have a windows desktop so I don't see the need for using bootcamp. >w<