Weird spots on the back of their iPhone 4 cover?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by definitive, Sep 26, 2010.

1. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

I just noticed this yesterday. When I breathed on my phone to wipe it with a glass cleaning cloth, I noticed a lot of matte-looking spots on the screen when holding it to the light so it reflects it into my face. Reminded me of mold at first (how it grows in spots on bread). I tried wiping it over and over by breathing on the glass, but they're still there. As soon as the glass dries up from the breath's moisture, the spots aren't visible anymore, and the back plate goes back to being glossy.

Anyone else have this? The entire thing is in spots, and they're not in any particular pattern. The front of the phone looks normal, and I don't want to use Windex on the back because I don't know how the phone would react to it.

2. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

wasteland

Dear moderators can we please have an "OCD" or "Cosmetics" subforum

these kind of questions have nothing to do with the phone, and everything to do with the owners

3. lush242000 macrumors member

lush242000

I have a spot on the front on my screen protector. It shows up after a week or two. I have used several different types. It's strange, but no big deal. Now on the back I have a ifrogs case and it has a spot where it is in contact with the magnet from my case.

4. sic2five macrumors member

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

I like the OCD forum idea. They can drive each other nuts..... :D

6. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

That's a solid idea, the mod's should have real bad OCD and people's posts will be deleted anyway.

7. definitive thread starter macrumors 68000

definitive

awesome! trolls!

i'm not ocd about these dots. im just wondering what's causing them, because they didn't seem to go away after i've cleaned the glass.

8. Biscotti macrumors regular

They could be wear in the Oleophobic coating on the Ip4 screen. I was playing COD zombies a lot and after 2 weeks I noticed 2 matte spots where my thumbs were rubbing on the screen. I could wipe them but in certain light I could always see them. I didn't want to ruin my screen anymore so I bought a ZaggShield. Bes decision ever, now I can do w/e I want or play any game w/o worrying about it. Also, now the screen is uniform (no matte spots anywhere).

EDIT: I just saw you said back cover... Yeah maybe it's mold, or mildew who knows.. :-/

9. jamied95 macrumors 6502

Explain, how is a cosmetic imperfection an OCD? I have it on the front of my screen, it's a pain in the arse, in bright light, all you can see is them. And wiping them with your hand doesn't get rid of them.

If you take it to an Apple Store, they'll take a look, I read someone had got theirs replaced. If you send it in however, the lighting condition aren't right in their offices or something, so they don't see it (although as far as I can see, all they do is clean the phone, and destroy the software - they left mine in dfu mode, comletely out of battery, took me an hour before it would even be recognised by my computer or turn on).

It's an issue, people are allowed to have problems with their phones, and spending as much as you do on an iPhone, and it's natural beauty, hey, would you want it to have ugly spots on it? No.

10. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

If I was you I would lick it.

If you don't die with in a week then it isn't some kind of deadly mold and I wouldn't worry about it.

If you do then...oops.

11. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

ugh seriously. I'm so sick of seeing people complain about stupid things like this. Everyday, I see at least 6 threads where people complain about how their iPhone looks/feels/smells/tastes. This is ridiculous! NO ONE CARES, THE END.

12. Trat macrumors regular

My god... Just wait till these guys buy a $40k car. I bet they'll just let that one stay at the dealer so it won't get weird spots on the back of the car...

13. sslanchi macrumors regular

sslanchi

ugh seriously. Im so sick of people complaining about people complaining. If you have nothing constructive to add here why post?

14. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

Exactly how can I possibly add anything constructive to this post?

15. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

no see you are in the wrong

its completely within our rights to b**tch people out that are complaining for no freaking reason

"Dadddy my M5 is too slow, I want a ferrari"

etc

16. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

THEN DON'T POST. :)

17. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

If you don\'t want those spots to appear, stop breathing on your iPhone. :D

18. definitive thread starter macrumors 68000

definitive

talked to an apple rep, and was told that they've been receiving calls about this issue for the past couple of weeks, and that they're supposedly investing it. gonna stop by an apple store to have it checked out and possibly replaced.

19. glasgowm148 macrumors newbie

Created an account here for the sole purpose of replying to this thread!

It's completely within a consumers rights to complain about a imperfection (cosmetic or not) - I'm paying £500 for my phone why shouldn't it be perfect?

What difference does it make? Well since I bought the iPhone mid-cycle (I couldn't afford it when it first came out) I'm hoping to sell my phone on when the next generation comes out. Any 'imperfection' will negatively affect it's resale value.

These spots are affecting my iPhone too, will be going into the Apple store for a replacement if they can't remove them! I am using a 'Gear4' case (The green one pictured here; http://www.gear4.com/media/07/1907-iphone_sub_72dpi_images.jpg) Not sure if that's the problem but I've removed the case to see if the problem disappears.

20. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Will you come back and let us know what happens? My first iPhone 4 had that same issue but has since been replaced ( I dropped it) and I don't notice it as much. You aren't crazy or OCD. Something is up with the back covers.