Weird SSD question/idea

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Aaron from KY, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Aaron from KY macrumors member

So here's my idea and tell me if it's possible or why I'm misunderstanding: So I understand that the rMBP uses a specialized Samsung 830 drive. Would there be any way to extract the firmware from a rMBP SSD and then flash a regular 830 drive, thus making it appear to OS X as an appleSSD complete with TRIM and everything? Am I mistaken in thinking this MIGHT be possible or are there other things I'm missing?

2. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

What do you mean by "and everything"? If you're just talking about trim then there's easier ways to accomplish this.

3. Aaron from KY thread starter macrumors member

I'd like the 830 drive to appear as an AppleSSD. It's Apple's custom firmware right? I'm guessing it's optimized for OS X and maybe features better power management and sleep states in addition to TRIM.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

That sounds like an interesting idea, but I don't know of any software that can be used to extract the firmware like you would need to do.

5. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

The rMBP uses an SSD that is not standard size - a normal off the shelf SSD won't fit.

6. Aaron from KY thread starter macrumors member

I know this. But, just like a standard ssd it has a firmware built into it, and considering that it's based on the Samsung 830, it should be doable, just depends on if the firmware can be extracted some way.