Weird SSD structure showing up, post install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NervousFish2, May 30, 2018.

1. NervousFish2 macrumors regular

NervousFish2

Good people,

Can anyone tell if it is normal that my newly installed Samsung EVO 850 would be showing up in Disk Utility, in this weird branch structure? The old hybrid drive didn't show up that way.

I guess it might not be a problem, except aesthetically. But what do you all think?

Certainly, and as you can see in the image, the old Apple 125GB SSD drive from the hybrid is still showing up 'normal'. But can you tell me if I have done something wrong in setting up the SSD, such that it shows up as nested in what looks like a kind of virtual disk or something: “Container disk2”

Thanks

Nick

Attached Files:

2. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Did you install macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) on the Samsung drive, so you can boot from that new SSD?
    If the boot drive is the only partition on that external drive, then the High Sierra automatically converts the drive to APFS, which shows up with that "container" listing. Completely normal.
    If you click on either the Container line, or your drive name "Macintosh SSD", you should see that the window then shows that the container, and the drive that it encloses, is APFS format.

The same will happen to the Apple SSD, if you choose to install High Sierra on that SSD.

3. NervousFish2 thread starter macrumors regular

NervousFish2

Great! That is *super* helpful. I thought something was wrong. But I see now on my MacBook, if I select "show all devices" in the sidebar of Disk Utility, it shows the exact same thing. THANK YOU!

4. NervousFish2 thread starter macrumors regular

NervousFish2

OK, so that really helped. One other question now: any thoughts on why my iMac no longer "chimes" on startup, after the install? I seem to recall that it used to. And my MacBook certainly does.

5. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Which Mac do you have? Apple dropped the boot chime on recent Macs.
    But, if you know that yours should have a boot chime, try an NVRAM reset. That will do the trick.
    Restart, holding Option-Command-P & R. You should hear a boot chime sound. If you don't, continue to hold the same 4 keys. You should at least see minor flashing as the system resets. Hold the keys for about 3 resets, then release.
    Let your Mac boot up normally.
    The NVRAM reset will ALSO reset your boot drive selection, so you should first go to System Preferences, then Startup Disk pane. Select your boot drive (the new Samsung that you just updated), as that will help the next boot complete more quickly.
    Does that reset bring your boot chime back now?

6. NervousFish2 thread starter macrumors regular

NervousFish2

Thanks - believe it or not, just read another of your posts elsewhere, where you answer the question. Yes, mine is a 2017 iMac 27". Somehow I thought it did chime. But I guess if I understand you right, this model doesn't chime at all?

Tried the NVRAM reset, by the way. Doesn't change the situation. So, guess this iMac just doesn't chime! (what a pity, its kind of an iconic Mac signature!)