Weird Startup Please Help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ytry2bsafe, Mar 29, 2012.

1. ytry2bsafe macrumors newbie

Looking for some advise

When I turned on my machine today and the white screen with the apple logo came up, instead of the normal spinning icon there was a progress bar displayed and the machine took about 2 minutes to start. When the machine finally started it was very slow and spotlight had to index the HDD. There was also significant screen tearing when moving the mouse over the dock. It was shutdown normally the day before (I selected shutdown from the apple menu). There were no updates installed when the machine was shutdown the night before.

When I restarted the machine everything appears to be normal, except Spotlight had to index the HDD. As some one new to the mac is this a sign of HDD problems or something else's. The machine was bought less than 3 weeks ago. Is there some kind of diagnostic utility that I can run?

Specs:
    27 Inch iMac (Mid 2011)
    Core i5
    12 RAM
    Radeon 6970 1GB RAM
    Lion 10.7.3

2. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Probably the OS running a repair - did it happen again on the next boot?

3. Set845 macrumors regular

The same thing happened to me about a week ago, just as you describe. I didn't notice Spotlight indexing, though it may have. I have a mid 2011 iMac 27 3.4GHz, bought it in late October. It wasn't running hot at the time and a reboot fixed it. Its been running fine since. Sorry I don't know what happened either.

4. Set845 macrumors regular

Yeah I got the progress bar. It didn't take twenty minutes to boot, it took a few though.

5. ytry2bsafe thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Although this is a perfect time to make sure you have a good backup plan in place.

7. Set845 macrumors regular

8. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

I would worry about it, even on a 2011 machine. Time for a good backup and then disk diagnostics.