Weird Static Image, Clicking Noises

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by d88co88, Dec 8, 2009.

1. d88co88 macrumors 6502

d88co88

When I sometimes wake it up from sleep mode, there is a moving static picture that doesn't go away until I restart it. It doesn't happen every time, maybe once every other day. There is also a fast, intermittent clicking noise coming from either the hard drive bay or disc drive area, I can't tell. I attached a picture of the static image. Any ideas?
    IMGA0327.JPG

2. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

Is that the PowerMac G4, if so it could be a video card driver issue, or a bad video card.

3. d88co88 thread starter macrumors 6502

d88co88

Yes, this is the PowerMac, but what would that clicking sound be?

4. jampat macrumors 6502a

Hard drives can make a fast clicking noise on their way out.

Do you use the disk drive much? Can you just disconnect the disk drive power for a bit and try to get the computer to lock up again and see if the clicking noise has stopped.

On PC's when I had a scrambled screen, pulling and reseating the video card and/or ram when the computer was off helped the situation.

5. d88co88 thread starter macrumors 6502

d88co88

I do use the hard drives a lot. I keep the computer on during the day and put it to sleep at night, but in energy saver I chose to have the hard disks asleep at any possible time.

6. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

You might also be suffering a kernal panic, the clicking could be drive dying and that dying drive could cause a kernal panic thus locking up the machine.