Weird syncing experience

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Eldiablojoe, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

I was syncing my iPad earlier to my MacBook via iTunes. They backing up step was going on for about 10 minutes and it only got 1/20 across the status / progress bar. I "X'd" out of that and just synced the rest of it without the backing up step.

Then I disconnected the device and reattached it. I went back and am re-syncing. The backing up step has been going for almost an hour and its only 1/5th across the progress bar. It is moving, but noticeably. If I put my mouse pointer icon on the end of the progress made so far, then come back and look at it 10 minutes later, it has made progress. So, it is backing up, but so incredibly slowly.

Anyone experience this before? Any idea what could be the cause or fix to this?

2. Eldiablojoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

UPDATE:

I left it for several more hours. In fact, I started the syncing around 6 pm, and went to bed around 11. It was only 3/4 to 4/5 done backing up by that point.

I left it overnight, and in the very early morning (6 or 7 am), it was had the familiar and comforting "Sync Complete" message.

Still have no idea why it took so fookin long, or it it will happen again next time.

3. seajay96 macrumors 6502

Did you upload a bunch of new files to the iPad? Photos, pdfs, etc?

I know when I transferred about 3Gb of pdf's to Goodreader, the next backup took a long, long time.

4. Eldiablojoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Nope, I don't think so. None of the settings have been changed from the last syncing, so the same number of iPhoto recent events and the same videos and music were synced over. There was a new app, but it wasn't one that you need to download over wifi (it was that Adobe Flash viewing app, SkyFire.

Thanks for the ideas though.

5. Eldiablojoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

I resynced again tonight. It hung up initially for about 15 seconds at the 1/5 point on the progress bar during the backing up, then accelerated to 1/2 done. About 10 seconds later it went to 3/4 done, then 4/5ths, then it finished totally within one minute.

I don't know why, or how, but I'm not complaining. :)

6. Eldiablojoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Thanks to Ash99, a guy from London with 4 posts on the Apple Support Forum who posted the following that solved my issue!!:

-----------------
    Also had this slow backup problem, sometimes could take over an hour. Reading the posts it seems that Zinio may be the problem. There seems to be a solution which stops Zinio backing up the magazine files and reduces backup times dramatically.

http://imgs.zinio.com/faq/ipad.htm#backup

could also be some other news/magazine reader but probably not your hard disc
    -----------------

7. Eldiablojoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Okay- I don't know if the Zinio is still causing this, or if the new firmware update caused this, but it took about two hours. I'm afraid for the next time I sync, I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a regular event :(