Weird temperature behaviour - Macbook Pro 17'' (mid 2010)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lasniko, May 27, 2015.

1. lasniko macrumors member

Hi,

I just downloaded the iStats menu app in order to check some values for my macbook.

1) I noticed that the CPU temp is between 70˚C and 90˚C without doing anything "serious" task. Just browsing the internet and office work. Is this a normal temperature?

2) Furthermore, I noticed that the temp was changing rapidly. For example from 90˚C in two or three seconds dropped to 70˚C and then after another two seconds went back to 90˚C. Is this something that happens?

Thank you in advance!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Maybe its the temperature sensor or the software that is reporting incorrect results.

Are you fans running? I'd try resetting the SMC if you don't notice the fans are running and also find another app to report the temperature, that way you can discern if its iStat Menus or something else.

3. lasniko thread starter macrumors member

Hi and thank you the answer. I downloaded another app and I am getting the same results. However, I don't see this crazy temp changes.

Both fans (left and right) are fully functional close to 2000 rpm.

What is the normal temp range I should expect for this Macbook?

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Those 2010 machines ran notoriously warm, this will only get worse as things over time as apps and the internet use more resources.

Also at that age opening it up and clearing out any dust may well help.

They are certainly within operating temps as the Core 2 Duo processors were rated to 105 degrees centigrade.

Jumps in temp are certainly a possibility.

5. lasniko thread starter macrumors member

Thank you Samuelsan2001 for the info! I didn't know how "hot" these machines could become. I will try to clear out the dust asap.

6. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Definitely remove the back cover and clean all the dust out. I also use smc fan control on my MacBook pro to manually ramp the fans up during intensive task. You may not need to do this but you can use the program to test your fans and make sure they are both working correctly. Max should be around 6200 rpms. I also use a laptop cooling pad which does help some.

7. actasci macrumors newbie

i assure you, it's thermal paste. something has to be wrong about it. if you can, open it up and reapply it.