Weird thing happened when I deleted data...

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by forza69, Aug 3, 2014.

1. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

So I kind of went on a cleaning spree. I deleted Yosemite which was 5GB along with many many pictures which tallied up to 8GB. Before deleting any of this I had 104GB left on my computer. After deleting everything I now have 108GB left. I'm not sure why this happened... anyone have any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

The files aren't removed and the space made available until after Time Machines local snapshots are removed.
    This is what I expect has happened, as you can see the amount of space being used for the Backups in your screenshot.

There are daily snapshots and one weeks snapshot, after that the files are removed. It is setup like this so that you can recover recent files you deleted (or modified) even if you don't have your Time Machine drive attached. Additionally if you run low on space the snapshots are automatically removed to free up the space.

If you must clear the local backups, disabling and reenabling Time Machine should do it.

You can read more about local snapshots here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4878

3. forza69 thread starter macrumors 6502a

forza69

Ha! Well isn't that something. I went ahead and turned off TM then turned it back on and wouldn't you know it, 119Gb free now. Thanks a lot man!

Would you happen to know about the "Other" space? Right now it went from 58GB to 63GB.

4. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Other is just all the files which OS X hasn't classified as being in a category of audio, movies, photos, apps or backups (so it can include things like a movie file which OS X was unable to recognise as being a movie), other also includes files that make up parts of OS X as well as caches.

As for why it increased, that's harder to work out. Unless you just copied some files onto the drive or installed a new program.